Upgrade output Shanling CD-S100 MkII

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi ZM,

Latest report: lowered R to1k, then 820 and caps down to 2n7 .

The resistance has no effect on the HF smearing ( distortion ).

Lowering the cap makes sound cleaner and more high frequencies, ...simply Good.

I also changed the elcos for nonpolar 3u3.

HF smearing did not change at all.

I tried lowering output caps to 2u2 and that did not work either, the HF rasping is still there.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
CeeVee said:
Hi ZM,

Latest report: lowered R to1k, then 820 and caps down to 2n7 .

The resistance has no effect on the HF smearing ( distortion ).

Lowering the cap makes sound cleaner and more high frequencies, ...simply Good.

I also changed the elcos for nonpolar 3u3.

HF smearing did not change at all.

I tried lowering output caps to 2u2 and that did not work either, the HF rasping is still there.

OK -- what happens when you have 1k2 as resistors , and decreased value of caps ?

btw - you can also try increasing resistor values , up to 1k6

edit :

you can try also without caps at all , but be careful - watch for distortion ( CRO?) above 20KHz

Joined 2006
Paid Member
My ASP ( Analog Signal Processor ) for the orions has an HF filter at the input so it does not get to the amps !

Siegfried Linkwitz used to design very HF equipment ! and he knows how expensive these millenium tweeters are !

Right now i have 1k and 2n7, sound is great...except that rasping HF.

EDIT: tried no caps....not a good idea ! sound level went way down and lots of clocks and pops from my volume relays.....and the Hf distortion is still there :xeye:

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Oh Yes,

In terms of tonality and transparency it's clearly better.

The Piano, in Diana Krall that i'm using as reference is absolutley real now, much much better than before.

The Cambrige DVD player now sounds shrill and metalic in comparison, although better than the Shanling before this rat's nest test.

From what i've been reading this DAC was designed specifically for SACD so it can't be all bad.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
OK - now .......

Sowter ,Lundahl ..... w/wo buffer ?

D1 ( look for Zei's project lately ; there is also something in cousine , regarding symmetric Shiny ( or Shinyy , whatever) ;

funny - now I looked and realized that D1 can be both unbal and bal input ........ :rofl: ...... I just never was interested .......... and didn't look closer ......... ?

something else , maybe Jfet based ?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
audiotux said:
Hi ,

J-Fet based .......
maybe the Fet-tisch from
www.lampizator.eu ?

Greetings from Germany
Jürgen

:clown:

hehe

even if I adore Lukasz's writings , and his approach to loudspeakers - I can tell that he's crazy almost as Serb :rofl:

BF245 is too wimpy for I/V we need .

besides - why using it , when we can have J310 for peanuts , at nearest newspaper kiosk ?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
audiotux said:
Chocky , is it possible that you can explain that ?
is it not possible with BF 245 C ?

Jürgen

it's possible , but - as I said - BF245 is wimpy comparing to 2SK170BL .

xconductance ......... ( mA/V )

to say it in common man words ( :clown: ) :

2SK170BL have higher xconductance ;

:rofl:
his suspectability to signal is much better than 245

There are only 2 N-JFETs I would consider as adequate replacements for 2Sk170 / 2SK370, namely BF862 (widely available) and 2SK222 (somewhat more difficult).

For more info, pls search John Curl's blowtorch thread.

Patrick

PS I personally do not consider J310 with 0.5x transcoductance and 6x more noise as an adequate replacement.

There is no need to get personal.
It does not carry any technical merits.

One only needs to read the data sheets of the 4 devices in the discussion to make a useful comparison. Also the likes of Scott Wurcer have published a lot of useful information on the Blowtorch thread, in particular noise measurements, on the 2 devices I named.

Perhaps you might consider getting yourself a few of these devices and test them in circuits before making any judgment. I certainly did.

I sign off from this discussion.

Cheers,
Patrick

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
EUVL said:
PS I personally do not consider..........

EUVL said:
There is no need to get personal.

I sign off from this discussion.

Cheers,
Patrick

well - I'm just like that - always personal :rofl: , trying to have fun besides all mumbojumbo electronic stuff ;

J310 is good enough for sayed I/V converter-for this particular case , we aren't trying to make MC stage ;
it's worse than 2SK170 ( in some conditions , actually), but certainly better than BF245.
so - fact that I have about 200pcs of each of 4 famous single 2SJ/SK isn't condition that everyone must use them everywhere .

contra to BT thread , this one certainly isn't about ******* contest ;

if you want to contribute , feel free to do that ........ but don't urge me to be serious ........ because I don't want to be serious

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.