Upgrade from LT1819

Thanks, abraxalito.

Hmmm, the LT has an input impedance of 5mohm (fet input?) where the ADA is only 5kohm (bi-polar input?), which says to me the if the stage before is as I suspect the discrete R2R ladder dac resistors they'd prefer the higher fet input load??

Cheers George

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-11-30 144708.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-11-30 144708.jpg
    394.2 KB · Views: 104
So do you think neither will have any loading effect on the output of the R2R ladder stage, as I worry about reducing dynamic swing of the ladder stage. As it is now this dac kicks some seriouse **** in dynamic ablity, hate to loose even a little of that.

Oh also it's all direct coupled, at the moment geting around 10mv dc offset on both channels , do you think this will be better or worse with the ADA's
Cheers George

Now I've seen the picture of the PCB it looks like that buffer is fed direct from the R2R ladder. Which means current noise is more of an issue than voltage noise and the ADA4898-2 has higher current noise than the LT1819. So I need to look for a lower current noise solution. Off the top of my head I would try OPA2210 as I recall that's pretty good current noise-wise.

I will look into the offset issue and get back to you on it.

The 10mV offset voltage is probably just the LT1819 input bias (2uA) * the R2R network resistance (guess 5k).

OPA2210 will definitely give the lowest noise and offset in this application. However dynamically its rather slow (6.4V/uS slew rate) so it'll be a case of suck it and see.

I would think that the OPA2210 was specifically selected for its very high bandwidth and slew rate in this position. A resistor ladder DAC is not exactly the nicest place to be for an opamp.

Mind you, if you have a high-spec ADC or audio analyzer at hand, I might toss an OPA1656 at it and see what that does in terms of IMD(f) and THD(f). Not quite as low in voltage noise as the OPA2210, with a fair bit of 1/f (though current noise is negligible), but roughly 3 times as fast.