upgrade drivers in speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Let me try to understand first...
There are different sets of parameters for different applications including for replacements.
You don't mention, your driver, your enclosure type, net (net volume if this is the case), tunning (if this is the case). So for me is just a mystery game?!
There are matches in specs, dB/SPL output, LF extension, type of enclosure, quality material type/sound of the cone...
If you give more details maybe I can give you an adequate answer.

The problem is I don't know enclosure volume. My questions was "Can I take the old speakers out, get the model numbers, find the specifications for that model number and then find a new driver that closely matches those specs. It seem to me that two drivers with the same specifications should work equally well in a given encloser.

Hi,

Why don't you post full details of your speakers and ask what are your best options ?

Generally in half decent speakers swapping drivers to better drivers simply doesn't work.

In poor speakers they will very likely be better but the x/o will still be awful.

rgds, sreten.

My questions was "Can I take the old speakers out, get the model numbers, find the specifications for that model number and then find a new driver that closely matches those specs.

Of course you can, IF the numbers stamped on the drivers actually mean something, and are from a well known manufacturer and documented. Many are not, so the numbers could be meaningless.

jeff

I would like to upgrade the drivers in my existing speakers to Seas or Scanspeak. What driver specifications to I need to match (other than size, of course) to get a driver that will work with the cabinat volume, ect.

That's impossible without changing the crossover also.
The crossover is created specially for the used drivers, with other drivers you'll get a different frequency response and phase integration between the drivers.

You're better off with using an existing design.

Danny66 - I think the OP already stated they were full-range, but then more than a few folks have misunderstood exactly what that means - we've seen a fair share of inquiries along the lines of "what should I replace the mid-sized driver in my full-range system with? "

a simple photo could help crystallize that question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.