update existing TTs or save pennies for a new setup?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm no expert on motors, but an incorrect capacitor
value will not affect speed as far as I know.

AFAIK you need two phases 90 degrees apart for a
synchronous motor, and the capacitor is for phase
shifting.
I've read if they are not 90 degrees you get more
vibration, but I don't really know.

Replacing the capacitor/capacitors seems like
a very good idea to me for an old turntable.

:) sreten.

Hi
Don't trow money into sony or pioneer junk turntable. Buy or built a real turntable.
i used to have a "high end" pioneer record player. Lot of tics and pops.
finaly decide to buy a used Oracle Delphi 4. Result: the lp must have to be in really bad shape to hear noise with the music. It's even better than my cdp.
Daniel-a

Thanks Daniel-A, but I can't throw in the towel just yet. I'm tinkerer & learning alot from these decks. I've come to the conclusion that it's worth messing around with these for now as I have nothing to lose if I wreck one of these. Maybe down the road I'll get into a higher end machine.

I will admit that the sony is a bit cheap in some respects (plastic base, not so heavy platter), but I haven't given up on it yet. I am learning quite a bit about setup & tweaking, even with this seemingly cheap deck. If I could find out what the proper compliance rating is (no manual), I could match up a resonably priced pickup. Right now I have a pickering TL-3 for which I do not know the specs, I have no idea if it's right for the arm. Mainly, this deck will be used with the computer for transfers to CD.

The pioneer is a well made deck with a good bearing. If I can get the speed right & get the arm set up well (or swap in a decent arm, Grace 707 or RB250), it should be adequate for my existing system. Again, learning quite a bit from experimenting with this table.

Well, the table has been completely disassembled & is awaiting a pulley that a friend is machining. This will mate to the maxon motor I plan to adapt to the original motor mounting plate. Then I can evaluate belt aligment & get the motor mounted. I also have a maxon motor controller that should be able to dial in the desired speeds.

Meanwhile, I obtained a grado green on ebay & I am breaking that in on my sony DD table. So far, it sounds great compared to any of the previous carts I have had around here. Eventually, I'll find an arm for the Pioneer (Grace 707?) & get it all back together.

md

Hello Everyone,
I have a Pioneer PLC-590 turntable with a Mission 774 tonearm mounted. The arm needs new cables for the counter weights. I have been thinking about finding someone who ties fishing fies to
make them. I don't have the arm's instructions anymore so I really
don't know the length it should be.
Sincerely,
Cambe:cool:

Hey Sev & others waiting for an update.

The PL-41 is presently packed away for a move. However, before packing, I established a motor mounting plate & tested out the new pulley, both seem to work well. The maxon motor control seems quite stable & provides plenty of adjustability. I have a 28V supply waiting to feed the maxon controller when I get a new workshop set up. Unfortunately, I never got the old tonearm back on, so I haven't been able to test it some tunes. I'm not so sure I ever want to fit that that pesky tonearm again, as I am still hoping to find a nice Grace 707.

I have all the original motor parts if anyone wants them. According to the fellow I found that worked on these at Pioneer years ago, they do have a tendency to run fast. I still don't get how a synch motor can run faster than the line frequency, but we don't need to rehash this thread from the begining ;)

md

I am surprised no one responded to your question about whether the bearing was supposed to be lubricated -- it has been my experience that the lubricant used can have a noticeable affect on speed. And its possible that the turntable was designed to run a little fast -- that way people could use dustbugs or similar record cleaners whose drag can slow down the platter. Also at the time the PL 41 was made, typical tracking weights were higher, and that too would tend to slow things down.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.