Upcoming Vifa drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Some very experienced people I know, have experimented a lot with phase plugs fore many years
They concluded long ago that a properly designed and correctly mounted dustcap would still to be preferred over a phase plug

Attachments

• beta-8a.jpg
    beta-8a.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 548
planet10 said:

There are a zillion receipes for paper... it is very hard to match the performance of a well developed paper.

Indeed many very high-end drivers use paper cones and paper is making a comeback in less esoteric designs it seems, maybe because Asian manufacturers can produce some at a reasonable cost. Despite popular belief the "doped" paper used for cone material is not the cheapest material for this application (the cheapest would be run-of-the-mill polypropylene I guess), in fact acoustic-quality paper is often more expensive to produce than Kevlar as it requires complex formulation and careful machining for even mixing with the chosen doping agent which can be anything from polyester to natural wool fibers to exotic minerals and chemicals.

Looks like Tymphany is steering Vifa towards the prestige market segment, could be in response to the advent of lower priced good quality Chinese drivers I suppose.

tinitus said:
Some very experienced people I know, have experimented a lot with phase plugs fore many years
They concluded long ago that a properly designed and correctly mounted dustcap would still to be preferred over a phase plug

:yes: for shallow smooth concave midrangers
Pole pieces tend to extend the on-axis over the mostly noneffected offaxis response, making the xover potentially more challenging....look at Dr J. D'Appolitos preferrences and others in the know. But for fullrangers a well designed polepiece can be an overall improvement.

"We are the knights who say...."

Lots of new Vifa drivers now listed at Madisound, Solen, even PE. Prices are quite attractive as well.

Apart from the woofers listed above, there is a selection of similar looking tweeters, and some fullrange 2.5" and 3" drivers.

Would be very interested to see 3rd party measurements of any of these drivers. Looking at the woofers, the published frequency response leave a little to be desired, but the impedance is flat as a ruler, they use large diameter voice coils, and have a lot of visual design features that look very nice to me, like the dust cap mounted directly to the voice coil for example.

The full range drivers seem to fall apart in the top octave, but other than that look rather well.

If anyone finds 3rd party measurements, please do post them here!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.