Unused secondaries

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I remember reading something about this, but I can NOT find it again. So thanks for your patience...

I have a lot of transformers pulled from scrapped equipment, and often they have the secondary I need, but also several other secondaries.
Should anything special be done with these unused secondaries?
Leave them open? Something to "avoid ringing"?

The usage if for little power supplies, like dedicated power supply for a CD player output stage, or experiments with phono amplifiers, etc.
Nothing switching, just plain PSUs with a rectifier, caps, regulators.

Thanks,
G.

_

Not that I have tried this but you could - carefully - load the unused secondaries with a capacitor to dampen higher frequencies passing through the transformer and so improve line noise rejection? For more details see patent no 6087822 from Menno Van Veen.

Hmmm - as I have not tried this I cannot really say. IMHO grounding makes sense if the unused winding happens to be between the primary (innermost ?) winding and the used secondaries, in which case it would be an additional shield winding (Schirmwicklung ?).

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
MRupp said:
Hmmm - as I have not tried this I cannot really say. IMHO grounding makes sense if the unused winding happens to be between the primary (innermost ?) winding and the used secondaries, in which case it would be an additional shield winding (Schirmwicklung ?).

Ja, Schirmwicklung .

there can be benefits even if winding in case isn't between primary and used secondary ; many xformers have "cover" shield (often just one Cu strip) , besides electrostatische schirmwicklung

Ja, Schirmwicklung

Upon further reflection I would say that the "schirmwicklung" lowers capacitive coupling between primary and secondary windings, while the loading of additional windings alla Van Veen dampens the magnetic field in the core and hence the magnetic coupling of unwanted frequencies. Maybe the two could even be combinded?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.