• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Unstacking a transformer...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I second the suggestion for acetone. Dunk it in a tub of the stuff, make sure it's fully submerged, and leave it in there for a few days. I've taken apart many smaller transformers because the varnish tends to turn into more of a gel with the acetone. I've also read that nasty solvents like toluene and xylene could work but honestly I'd avoid them.

Geek said:
Use of a retractible knife and cleave the lams like sheets of mica. Relatively fast.

Acetone makes this a lot easier. What worries me about having done this is that the razor might scratch the insulation off from the laminations. I've read that it's important for each lamination to stay insulated from the others, so do this at your own risk.

sorenj07 said:
I've read that it's important for each lamination to stay insulated from the others, so do this at your own risk.

It is, but when you restack, use nail polish. Never restack them dry anyway since you'l have a pretty noisy transformer.

I've been doing this for years with the knife and polish, no failures yet ;)

Just a little stripe of polish on the surfaces, lay down the next layer of E and I. It doesn't have to be spread too thick, when you squeeze it later with a clamp, it'll spread quite evenly.

As ou near filling the stack, use a Quick-Grip clamp with the rubber pads removed to give a squeeze on the exposed faces. You can install the rest. Give a final squeeze, rub off the nail polish that squeezes out and you can use it right away, or if the smell bothers you, wait a couple of days to dry (the heat from an operating transformer will cure it all the way through in a week).

If you have a few lams left over (3 is typical), no worries. It takes practise ;)

I just use the el-cheapo clear enamel that's 50 cents/bottle. It's easier to work with. The expensive stuff never quite hardens and is too thick for this job.

I used to just dump transformers into a coffee can full of paint stripper for a couple of days - the laminations come apart nice and clean without a lot of persuasion. This may not work so well now that they've removed a lot of the methylene chloride from paint stripper, but it still may be worth a try. Try brushing some paint stripper on the varnish - if it bubbles up and gets soft, you're golden. Xylene will most likely work as a solvent for the more common solvent-based transformer varnishes, though probably not for the polyester or epoxy formulations. Home Depot sells Xylene by the quart and the gallon. It's not good for you, but it shouldn't be too much of a problem if you avoid getting it on your skin (nitrile gloves, perhaps?), and keep the coffee can full of bad stuff outside.

I used an old steak knife and a small hammer to drive it between the lams and break them loose. After the difficult first few I switched to a small chisel and they popped apart easily. Now is a bad time to be in the transformer business, copper prices are continually going up :bawling:

korneluk said:
OK, need some help from the pros.

What's the easiest way to unstack the laminations of an EI transformer core that has been dipped in varnish?

Want to keep the damage to the laminations to a minimum so it can be reassembled later.

TIA,

-- josé k.

i dip the traffo in a tub full of lacquer thinner, i let it stay a few days depending on the stiffness of the varnish..

then use a thin knife to separate the firs few e and i's, a flat screw driver and a rubber mallet and you are in bussiness..

when this fails and you will not be using the coils, then haksaw the coils out of the way of the ei's..

djQUAN said:
slightly OT:

is there a way to get the number of turns needed for the primary for a given input voltage without saturating incase you have only the iron and bobbin from a scrap tranny?

hi,

i use the formula, n=1200/A

where A is the area of the core center leg in inches, and an input voltage of 230volts ac.

stacking factor should be considered, also when using DEECO irons, i add more turns...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.