Unknown Audiostatic ESL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!
I just bought some Audiostatic's. I dont know nothing about them,model,year.... Can someone give me some info about this speakers.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

its a solosound, electrostatic. or the solostatic 4 , its a leecltrostatic with 4 pcb's stators. the frame is from a sort of polyurethane foam. . panels measure 10x15cm dc pacing is 1 mm. coating is low ohm. few 100 k Ohm. they play pretty loud and are not corected in any way. resonance is around 350hz. usually they spark since they used rather high stepup of 120 or more, and 5kv of bias :0

its funy the thing says audiostatic, i guess they separated later on and went there own way.

solosound still exists, and went to a demo last year of there newer models. sounded rather good

it was this loudspeaker that got me playing with esl's :) i bought 2 sets one broken and one playing so i tried fixing the broken set and build something new with it.

Last edited:
Technische gegevens Solostatic 4-elements ESL
size (cm)
height 76
width 28
depth 19
weight (kg) 8
ESL-elements 4
spacer distance
(mm) 1
capacity 60 nF
HV 5800 V
freq 300 Hz... 20 kHz
sensitivity 90 dB/1 W/1 m
max power 100 W in 8 Ω (max)

i got an article of it but it is in dutch :)

Last edited:
Audiostatic arrived today...they are smaaaaaaal :D :D

1pgvt2.jpg

ah nice its a newer version, they never used these caps. and the frame is changed as well a little. and it has supporting dots on the menbrame witch they did not have one the early versions as far as i know. they are small but play pretty loud

pretty clean looking pair i must say!

Very Cool! Thanks for sharing these pics.
I always wondered what ESL panels were pictured in Ben Peter's patent for the silicon dot suspension.

i talked about these elements allot 8 years back :) when i noted the efficiency no one believed me :)

so this is where the silicone dot came from :) cool nice to know. my version did no0t ahve them yet. rest of the panels are identical

this would be the size i will be aiming at for my stacked version since it should be able to reach 400-500

Last edited:
Are these going to be good after 30 years? I can pick a pair up for not too much, but if i'm hearing sparks i'm guessing the membrane is not good anymore...

usually they have isolation problems, the used almost 5Kv on the foil, after soem abuse and laquer going bad it might spark and burn holes in the foil since the foil used a really low resistance coating few 100 K ohm at max. so you might need to sand down to bare copper, ad several layers of laquer, and if the foil is not pierced all over and the glue that holds the entire thing is not dried out they are fine :)

well if the price is right (cheap) and you not afraid of some labour they are prety nice speakers. also a nice thing to learn allot about the the whole ESL thing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.