Universal Tiger

Dimitri site is very good...have one "book" inside with teaching materials

Welcome Dimitri.

In my country there are around 3000 Russians....not more Russians....they dance Samba but used to make houses and farms, and use pants the way you use.

here some "stollen" dimitri informations.

The small image, despite of out of focus, is Dimitri very serious....hummmmm before some Vodka i think!...Russian are full of life and hapyness.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• dimitri.zip
    3.5 KB · Views: 442
Wasted time

The only amp in the Tiger line worth having is the Tigersaurous. This amp is very stable and sounds like the more sought after SAE 2400's and Ampzilla's. With one exception... the tigersaurous
has a better output stage than either of the above.

I will throw my .02 into the ring here. Why try to band aid a very unstable design? Compensation in my mind (adding caps) to stabalize a bad design just doesn't make sense. Redesign the amp and end up with something that will last.

If someone is seeking a project than I will suggest a very worthwhile one. Try copying the "Son of Ampzilla" This design is fully complimentary and is stable driving a 2 ohm load. You can usually buy one off ebay that is working for around $200.

Joe

I receive some urgent fax showing me this amp designer

Is that man you Epupa.

hehe

Carlos

Attachments

• skan.jpg
    skan.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 1,251
Very fast and clever to understand the subliminary informations

I respect your intelligence Epupa.... you capture intentions in the air.. alike one "radar"

Very good...i used one electric machine everyday...i cutt the hairs very small.... around 5 milimeters....and i do that since i had 15 years old... always same face.

But one day i shave myself and discovered that i have no mouth.... very small.... awfull.... shave no more...never!

regards Epupa

Carlos

Schhhh!... it is a secret dave...not me... some forum guy, i imagine was Epupa.

He said he is not...this way....hehe...i am lost... this was a fax received.

I am 54, made in July,17...but do not remember those ones you told.

I use Beatles and Rolling Stones as a reference...many others have been in my heart before that....my preference is Classic music, Bossa Nova and Jazz... alike Count Basie.... i like Wagner..hehe.... people do not like him....but i like, and many others...bethoven...List.... a lot of good music...and terrible sound...all those are very old recordings.

I gonne to Jan site, and i downloaded the tiger....i passed the eyes and feel some strange...but i closed it fast ,as i had to pick my daugther in the school, but it seems very different...i will take another look.

regards,

Carlos

It's interesting that the output stage could easily be changed to a darlington emitter follower type and then the topology is very similar to a complementary version of the RCA/Citation design which is a proven design.
Otherwise if a person has one, or is offered one at a very low price the power supply, heat sinks and output devices fit well into Cherry's NDFL design:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=25971

I haven't had a lot of good luck with SWTP products in the past. I tried building their preamp, which had a pretty advanced complementary symmetrical differential circuit (kinda like the Tiger 01 if I remember correctly). The topologywas nice, but plagued with horrible oscillation problems that I had no way of diagnosing at the time ('74) without a scope. I chose the SWTP preamp over the Dynaco PAT-4 based on specs, and reflecting back, I probably would have been better off with the Dynaco, as I never got the other preamp to work. I ended up gutting it for parts.
Anyway, I think that with all the gain stages (each stage is a gain stage), the universal Tiger circuit detailed in the original post would win a prize for being hard to stabilize. I would make a first attempt by placing a few tens of pF (maybe as much as 100pF) from base to collector of Q3. If I had the amp I would reconfigure it to make the last two stages followers, and place a single resistor between the emitters of the driver stage. I would also add a Vbe multiplier for bias instead of the diode string, to make it easier to dial in an appropriate bias current for the output transistors. Of course, that is the same as redesigning the amp, but the original design gives me the willies....