Universal Outboard Power Chassis for Pass

Hey team,

I remember there being some chatter about this, but alas my searches havent been too successful. please do point me anywhere if this is already discussed.

Planning to build an outboard power supply (dual mono, 2x 400 or 500va trafo) to power various projects - Aleph J, F5, F6, etc. and beyond. Logically, a +/- 24V output is the ideal.

I had thought originally to put 2x UPS boards within the power chassis and send umbilicals up. They would sit close to each other the two, but the idea is a modular pass system so we can enjoy various builds without having to invest in redundant parts, larger chassis, etc. etc.

Thanks in advance.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
done before by several Greedy Boyz around

incidentally, rumor sez that Modushop Boyz are preparing Monoblock cases, not just case with heatsink but also adequate heatsinkless case, for outboard PSU

if you want stereo option - simple to choose from already existing cases - for amp use Dissipante 4U/400 , for PSU use Slimline 3U/350 or 4U/350

do not forget that amp need to have local cap bank ......... so you can arrange your PSU as CRC, where first C is in PSU case, R is umbilical, last C is with amp

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you Zen Mod - those are some tasty rumors indeed.

My thoughts exactly - work off the existing cases they have, tempted to make a mini dissipante work for the amp stages. I have some small fans for most of the amp locations since its relatively poorly ventilated, the quiet fans work out beautifully.

Thanks for the note on the PSU - I assume that means bread boarding it Rectifiers, C stage + R - umbilicals out; and local Cap banks to V +/-

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
if you acquire some raw pcb, witx xacto knife and small drill thingie, you can make wonders

if you want them looking mean , just spray them with Nero Opaco on top, prior to soldering parts

same applies for Cap Bank at PSU side and for same in amp case

for me - much easier than fighting with veroboard, practically making traces with wire

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Built this for XRK’s Aplha Nirvana. They are not regulated so can switch transformers for different voltages. This is his SLB power supply.

Attachments

• 22BC3E8D-7D07-4508-AF48-BBA90C5B950D.jpeg
    22BC3E8D-7D07-4508-AF48-BBA90C5B950D.jpeg
    932 KB · Views: 832
Reactions: 1 user
incidentally, rumor sez that Modushop Boyz are preparing Monoblock cases, not just case with heatsink but also adequate heatsinkless case, for outboard PSU

I'm really glad to hear this, because I've been wanting to do that for a while.

I'm also very interested in a 4u case where the heat sinks are easy to remove and replace that way the cost of every new circuit I want to build is just the board, parts, and heat sinks. I can build amp boards, attach them to heat sinks, and swap them out while re-using the same deluxe 4u case and connections. This way I could build a bunch of different first watt designs and storing the ones I wasn't using would just take up the space of their heat sinks and boards and not a whole 4u chassis for each one. I'd never have to remove a circuit board from a heat sink and deal with the mess of cleaning up the heat sink goop from the keratherms.

I'd save at least $260 each just by not having to buy the back panel parts kit and 4u chassis (minus the cost of the UMS heat sinks). Add in the benefit of not having to have a separate power supply for each one and that savings goes up above $700. Now I can afford to build 3 circuits for what used to be the price of one.

With quick-disconnect connectors on the power, input, and output, you could probably swap the circuit in under 5 minutes and never have to mess with the external power, input, and speaker wires.

I'm also very interested in a 4u case where the heat sinks are easy to remove and replace that way the cost of every new circuit I want to build is just the board, parts, and heat sinks. I can build amp boards, attach them to heat sinks, and swap them out while re-using the same deluxe 4u case and connections. This way I could build a bunch of different first watt designs and storing the ones I wasn't using would just take up the space of their heat sinks and boards and not a whole 4u chassis for each one. I'd never have to remove a circuit board from a heat sink and deal with the mess of cleaning up the heat sink goop from the keratherms.

I'd save at least $260 each just by not having to buy the back panel parts kit and 4u chassis (minus the cost of the UMS heat sinks). Add in the benefit of not having to have a separate power supply for each one and that savings goes up above $700. Now I can afford to build 3 circuits for what used to be the price of one.

With quick-disconnect connectors on the power, input, and output, you could probably swap the circuit in under 5 minutes and never have to mess with the external power, input, and speaker wires.

That is what I was currently planning/building. My amps are in a 4U 330mm x 300 mm enclosure. Power supply is in a Galaxy 330 x 280 enclosure below. Set up as a pair of monoblocks since I had two heat sinks. I am starting off with the M2x and the F6. Since the amp chassis is fairly open it should make it easier to remove the heat sinks.

This is exactly what I'd like as well.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
My M2x monoblocks are in 2 deluxe 4u modushop chasses with nice XRK SLB PSU boards. There is enough room to easily change amp boards.

If I were starting over, I would welcome 1/2 width boxes with 1 heat sink each, employing a central box with dual PSU sets. Moving half the cap bank to the amp boxes would allow bigger cap physical sizes. Then, it would be easy to keep the heavy PSU box located on the rack, and have sets of the 1/2 size cases with different amp boards for easy changing, with less back pain. Dual PSUs are a very expensive, and heavy, part of this fun.

Last edited: