universal chip pre-amp project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been listening to my system for the last couple days with the UCP running the LT1358's now. The power amp is the modified CNXTA2022 - upgraded Cz, Co, and Ci and inductors.

I still have two more opamps to try out but so far I really like the LT1358 much better than the OPA2227.

Of the three power amps I have been listening through I think at low to moderate levels the tube amp still wins. None thumps like the chipamp.com amp though...it will play louder than I will mostly need. The best part about the chipamp.com amp is that it was good enough right out of the box.

The jury is still out on the t-amp though...I like it but I dont love it...yet...

hi ev,i have not test it with regulated power supply.
i have a rough test with the new ucp2 module.i use LF411 drive LME49610.the 49610 was working very good under the feedback or open loop.i prefer running the buffer under open loop like ucp1 do.
near yearend most of electric shop closed.i can not buy compomores for a overall test.

happy new year to you all,
zang

Attachments

• unit_ucp2&1.jpg
    unit_ucp2&1.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 502
hi ev,i have not test it with regulated power supply.
i have a rough test with the new ucp2 module.i use LF411 drive LME49610.the 49610 was working very good under the feedback or open loop.i prefer running the buffer under open loop like ucp1 do.
near yearend most of electric shop closed.i can not buy compomores for a overall test.

happy new year to you all,
zang

Hello there! if I were you, I would change those 47uf 36v. those caps are well known for their short life.I know for fact. I have fixed many boards using these surface mount caps.I never like them for that reason.Sony has many problems in their PIP boards and guess what the PIP problems are....you are right , the surface mount caps they dry out easily and the only way to see if they are bad is with an ESR meter!. I know they use them to save space but try to arrange the big ones some how.

the 47uf/35v is philips polymer capacitor,they are not surface mount.

i agreed with you about the surface mount caps.lots of factory made boards use aluminum surface mount capacitors,they are almost 2 to 3 year dry out life.i am very do not like use these caps.

-zang

Good to hear that digi01. I am sorry they looked like they were surface mount caps to me, That is why I mentioned.But I see you know about them too lol. Take care.

yes,the preamp with gain 10.
you can modify the gian via adjust R5,R7,R6,R8.the preamp is a two stage device,voltage gain + buffer stage.for make this unity gain,set R7,R8 as 0ohm is a simple way.

Forgive the noob question, but what would be the best way to slightly increase the gain of the UCP? I have been listening extensively for the past month or so with a couple different chips. The gain on my Aikido seems most appropriate for my setup...ideally I'd like to match it - the input tubes I'm running (6DJ8) give me a gain of 14.

Which combination of R5,R7,R6,R8 would achieve this. I am running a clean +/-13.2VDC on the UCP.

Thanks!

what would be the best way to slightly increase the gain of the UCP? the input tubes I'm running (6DJ8) give me a gain of 14. Which combination of R5 said:
hello.
..........i do not know your schematic you are actually useing..........
but if you increase the res (r7,r8?) 1,4 times (+40%) - this should give you a gain around 14 (if the basic gain was 10).
greetings
edit: r7,r8 around 13k........if similar schematic in post 5

Last edited:
what would be the best way to slightly increase the gain of the UCP?Which combination of R5,R7,R6,R8 would achieve this.

the actually schematic was in post 5.the voltage gain of UCPv1smt is (R7+1)/R5 or (R8+1)/R6.the basic gain was 11(approx 20dB).

I think the best way is decrease R5,R6.you can add resistors in parallel with R5,R6.you need not remove the origional smt resistors.showing below.

zang

Attachments

• ucp1smt_gain_adjust.GIF
    ucp1smt_gain_adjust.GIF
    48.5 KB · Views: 395
I have populated one of the UCP V1 boards for simple stereo and am awaiting appropriate transformer Can I use non-polarized electrolytic caps for the 1-47uf caps? It's all I have for now but I have more polarized caps coming in an order I placed for various things at Digikey.

I was also wondering, after reading app notes of LM4562, which I'm using on pre-amp board, about how to implement an LM4562 active crossover either pre or post gain of pre-amp board, for bi-amp situations. I'd love to get rid of the passive crossover of my 2-way speakers. Since I have a pair of the pre-amp boards, would each pre-amp board be used in a bi-amp setup? 4-gang volume contol into seperate crossover board in front of each pre-amp out to seperate power amps of choice? Tube, discrete or chip with resistor adjusted gain in pre-amp as appropriate?

Can this be done with a 2-gang stereo pot and one pre-amp board?

Or would such an active crossover go after the pre-amp and associated gain?

I'm just trying to get an idea of the simplest way of doing this and maintaining universality of the design.

Are other variations possible? LR intead of Butterworth?

Attachments

• LM4562 Active Crossover.png
    LM4562 Active Crossover.png
    105.2 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:
go to the ESP site and do some reading.

What a great site from Rod! Project 09 was a most stimulating read. I'll have to read and re-read that and other crossover and opamp stuff.

An SMT board version would be a nice compliment to the UCP V1, in the spirit of maintaing shortest possible signal path, even though all the opamps seem to make longer paths acceptable.

Maybe this will make me familiarize myself with circuit board software, and see what I come up with, once I learn to crawl faster and maybe even stand up and walk...

As a side note I thought I'd let you know my DigiKey package showed uo :D
[like, the next day after I ordered it all :eek::D:cool:] and includes many variations of zoble components and coupling devices. ;)] My woofers are PE buyouts, a a variant of Vifa P17WJ polys and I like them alot. This variant is now non-replaceable. Even though they were inexpensive I like them so I takes no chances. I would like to thank you personally for continuing to push home the risk/reward ratio of consequences in minimalizing circuits.

Now, on to replacing all the electros in a nice old Luxman integrated I've had for awhile. The task at hand.... It's a nice amp, All Elna caps, original Silmics were all over the preamp, tone controls [opamps there too] and phono amp sections. I'm replacing them with Elna SilmicII's and Panasonic FC everywhere else, 25V. 50V, AND 100V. 15000uf 63V Panasonic THA for main big power caps. $50 for all the caps with lots of leftovers. Most of the caps were almost half-off price if I bought 10.

...but back to the thread.

SMT and opamp electronic crossover board for 2-way and/or 3-way anyone? Voltage from one transformer for both crossover and preamp? Is that as simple as having power connecor pads on the crossover boards to feed out to preamp board on a shared supply? they'd both be 12Vish.

Appropriate jumpers to Digi's wonderful preamp board?

I'd buy! :D

Digi?

Last edited:
I have populated one of the UCP V1 boards for simple stereo and am awaiting appropriate transformer Can I use non-polarized electrolytic caps for the 1-47uf caps? It's all I have for now but I have more polarized caps coming in an order I placed for various things at Digikey.

hi,i think non-polarized electrolytic caps for C1,C2,C3,C4 is good.i have tested 1uf non-polarized caps(i buy them for max232 gear) and 1uf 0805 packaged smt caps.the UCP work under the fix regulated LM7815/LM7915 power supply,sound great!
what kind of power supply are you using?unregulated or regulated?

zang

I was also wondering, after reading app notes of LM4562, which I'm using on pre-amp board, about how to implement an LM4562 active crossover either pre or post gain of pre-amp board, for bi-amp situations. I'd love to get rid of the passive crossover of my 2-way speakers. Since I have a pair of the pre-amp boards, would each pre-amp board be used in a bi-amp setup? 4-gang volume contol into seperate crossover board in front of each pre-amp out to seperate power amps of choice? Tube, discrete or chip with resistor adjusted gain in pre-amp as appropriate?

Can this be done with a 2-gang stereo pot and one pre-amp board?

Or would such an active crossover go after the pre-amp and associated gain?

i like bi-amp concept but i have not working on it.
i think a 2-gang pot is ok.the active crossover go after the pre-amp.you can set up the UCP like a distribution amplifier,the below photo show one channel connection:

Attachments

• ucp-distribution.GIF
    ucp-distribution.GIF
    59.1 KB · Views: 328
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.