Unity gain buffer for Sennheiser HD600

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I read the "white paper" describing the performance advantages of their 0-ohm headphone amplifier. Hmmmm.....this is the first measurement I've ever seen that proves that a 30 ohm resistor generates so much distortion!! I guess you have to take it at face value---their headphone amplifier does not like to drive resistive loads in series with headphones. I don't know why that is. I'm also not sure if that is true with every power amplifier extant.

It's not the 30 ohm resistor or the amplifier that's generating the distortion, it's the headphone driver itself. Note that this distortion reduces when the headphone impedance goes up.

Which is which? :D

If you look in the schematic Mooly gave, there are resistors outside of the feedback loop. Output impedance will de determined by the value of those resistors.

EDIT: I failed to see the resistor values before. I now see they are 1R, so the output will be 0.5-Ohm. Will that resistance outside of the feedback loop make any noticeable difference? You'll have to ask an expert that question.

There's also the question, is the 3V/µs slew rate of the NJM4556 enough? Ugly topic.

Last edited:
You need an o-scope to experiment with lower values. I assume if the designer chose 1R resistors, he did so for good reason.

Nesting the buffers in the feedback loop of another op-amp will get you what your looking for, but at that point you might just be better off with a BUF634/LME49600 board.

Because plain and simple the Quad Capture is not capable of driving these headphones accurately, which are the best I can afford at this price. I figured with a small investment I can make the interface suitable for these cans. Also it's an interesting project and an opportunity to learn!

An output impedance greater than 0.05ohm defeats the purpose of this project...

Would you say it is achievable with that BUF634 buffer module from eBay?

I already mentioned that they are running open-loop on that board, so no. They need to be nested in the feedback loop of an op-amp.

Not very many options on ebay. Personally, I would build the board I linked to earlier. There's a kit on ebay that comes with parts, but I won't even link to it because it's missing things critical for stability.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.