Unfindable driving transistor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everybody!

I am attempting the repair of my mate's amp but I am stuck to find a replacement for the driving transistor, called B647A. After some Googling around, I found that these where only available in Japan... Great, I live in England :(
So, does anyone know either:
- where I could find a B647A in the cupatea country
or
- what substitute to the B647A I may use (if I must)

Also, if you could take a look at the pics here and here, showing the extent of the damages as I can see them, could you let me know if there is anything I might have missed out? Thanks a lot in advance.

Oh and by the way, the amp is (was?) a Denon AVC-1530.

Thanks all

The power transistor is made by Sanken if that's any help.

The B647A is actually 2SB647A and is PNP, but I guess you knew that.

I am only going by what transistors I have used myself in similar applications and that 'stretched' TO92 driver transistor is like ones I use for drivers, so it could well be a suitable replacement. They are made by Sanyo and are 2SC2910 (NPN) and 2SA1208 (PNP). However, I wouldn't like to use these for more than a 60W/8R amp. If it's much more than this you could try MJE15032/33 or MJE340/350.

You may also like to try Toshiba 2SC5200 (NPN) and 2SA1943 (PNP) power devices as replacements.

You can get these parts from Profusion who are a UK company are very nice to deal with. They also sell Sanken transistors so may have original replacements anyway.

What camera do you use? I like how your pics have come out and need a similar capability myself.

Thanks for your reply richie00boy.

I hadn't realised that B647A stood for 2SB647A. Duh! :xeye:
The 2SA1491 had its full ref given away as it was written on the PCB...

I forgot to mention that I already found a replacement for the 2SA1491 which I got from a company called Telepart.
I just realised that they also have the 2SA647A in their list.
If I had known, I would have ordered them together, saving me having to pay for the P&P twice. Oh well... :rolleyes:

Thanks also about the replacement alternatives you offered for the 2SA647A. If I can't get hold of one, I'll consider your propositions.

About my camera, I used the Canon PowerShot S50 (retails at a bit over £300). A very good review is available here. Note that the images I posted have been reduced to 1024x768 from their orginial resolution of 2592x1944. That extra resolution was useful for the zoom on the 2SA647A.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.