Understanding what's going on with my PS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Why come on a forum and ask for fresh ideas then?

I am not sure I see what you mean

Ummm, did I say I didn't like fresh ideas? I'm intrigued by your suggestion but was voicing my concern, which is putting 24vdc close to the speaker. I know it's just the other side of an electrolitic cap, but it still makes me nervous. If the cap were to blow and short out, that's 24vdc across the voice coil. A speaker killer to be sure.

What I mean't about the feedback question was, if the point of doing this is to use PS source feedback to reduce the ripple, I would think it would also reduce the music signal b/c of the voltage swings across the load resistor. But please understand it's always hard for me to understand what's going on in these situations. That's exactly why I use this forum. It helps me think through these kinds of issues. So thanks for your help. Even though it sometimes confuses me, I appreciate the input.

Carl

PS - BTW, it's rocking here as hurricane Sandy makes landfall. Not as bad as Long Island (NY), RI and CT, but winds are HUGE! Hope all of you on the NE coast of the US are safe!

Last edited:
If the cap were to blow and short out, that's 24vdc across the voice coil. A speaker killer to be sure.
Not exactly, but anyway what do you think will happen to the voice coil in case the 4700µ fails in your original schematic?

What I mean't about the feedback question was, if the point of doing this is to use PS source feedback to reduce the ripple, I would think it would also reduce the music signal b/c of the voltage swings across the load resistor. But please understand it's always hard for me to understand what's going on in these situations. That's exactly why I use this forum. It helps me think through these kinds of issues. So thanks for your help. Even though it sometimes confuses me, I appreciate the input.
There is no feedback involved, just a cleaner reference potential as seen from the speaker terminals.

Sorry I seem to be offending you folks. Not my intent. It just never would have occurred to me to even search on switching the speaker to B+, hence not doing my homework. I'm at a much more basic level here than I think you guys assume - particularly with solid state. That said, I never just do what I'm told without understanding it at some level - or at least thinking I understand it...

And Elvee, you're right about the dc voltage - again just showing my ignorance. I will get around to trying this when I get the time.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.