• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Umbilical cord construction

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i wasnt referring to this design, just the connectors in general will handle higher voltages than spec, but you have to watch the current. creepage is about voltage, pin size (which is the limiting factor here) is about current

Last edited:
Umbilical

Thanks for all the helpful response to my original questions. I believe I have found a good connector to use--it is on page 1503 of the Mouser catalog. Rated 600v/3-7.5amp, up to 7 pins at 20 gauge. Within budget.

Any comments would be most welcome.
Thanks again.

Are you just mounting the power transformer remotely?.......or additional PS components?

If it's just the transformer, you'll need:

B+ CT 3 conductors
rectifier filament 2 conductors
6.3V CT to run filament regulator 3 conductors or 2 conductors (depends on output tube choice IIRC)
chassis ground 1 conductor

Will noise be an issue with all these lines running together? I have always kep mine separate.

If it's just the power transformer separate, then everything is AC (and ground). Once I separated signal and chassis ground on my umbilical, the noise problem went away. I'm running 95db fostex full rangers.

Good question if one is running rectified & smoothed B+ in the umbilical next to the AC filament conductors.....

you can actually get lemo, cannon, amphenol etc connectors that have mixed contacts, low level (or high level) shielded coax, slightly higher current pins and massive 10mm conductors if you like. but these things you start to have to make loans to pay for

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.