ultrasimple mm/mc riaa preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks Chris!

More impressions: Sound is controlled, with a unusually accurate soundstage. It sure manages to bring out a lot of details from my records -listening to "Röyksopp" was almost confusing, 'cause I'd newer heard all those weird little clues/mixes before (not even from my 2K$ CDP).

(Kfi i morgen kan bli vanskelig)

Hi,

More impressions: Sound is controlled, with a unusually accurate soundstage. It sure manages to bring out a lot of details from my records -listening to "Röyksopp" was almost confusing, 'cause I'd newer heard all those weird little clues/mixes before

Yes. This is very much and always has been my "house sound". Detail without fatigue. It has probably something to do with english being my third language and me always having problems following difficult lyrics. Loads of detail hels intelligibility. Loads of detail often hurts my ears in commercial designs. It's not the easiest job to achieve balance. You can kill it quite easily too in this Phono, just try some really high capacitance interconnects....

Sayonara

It is definately not fatiguing!

Kuei Yang Wang, I think we have the same preference:
DETAIL WITHOUT FATIGUE.
How nicely put.

It think it's very natural sounding. The treble is very transparent, with lots of info, but never hard/cold/over-anaytical.

Funny you should mention it, because one of the first things I noticed was that it was real easy to follw the lyrics...

You mean the output interconnects, yes?
-Not to worry: 7.6pF/ft :)

Kuei Yang Wang said:
Hi,

Well, that is splendid. I like low capacitance interconnects.

BTW, my E810F Valve/LCR EQ based Phonostage is much better still, but has a entry pricetag in parts that is lethal.... ;-)

Sayonara

I'm shure; and it would most certainly KILL me ;)

For now, I'm just enjoing my new ultra-simple-cheapo phono-amp so very much. (I'm on a very tight budget these days):(

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Aaaahaaaaaa!

Thorsten Loesch = Kuei Yang Wang

Now I get it!

Man, if I could feel more stupid than right now...
(From now on, I'll always check people's profiles)

Part of the explanation is that I discovered your "The Analog Addicts Phono Preamp" by googling the web, and found this: http://www.users.nac.net/markowitzgd/phonopre.html

I think I have seen thunderstoneaudio before once, but only briefly (was searching for something else).

Now, if I could be so bold to ask about the story behind your username?

And, thank you very much for your excellent phono-pre design.

Surprise Surprise!

Surprise for you, Mad_K

most of us others, who knew,
thought that you knew also ;) ;)
-----------

Thorsten is surely glad if anyone can use his designs
and feel happy about them.
He puts a lot of hard thinking and work into so many things.

sometimes it gives some tasteful fruits, too
to us people

/halojoy - :cool: also known as "gromanswe" (260 posts) here at diyaudio
and "groman" at AudioAsylum (700 posts) :cool:
##################################################################

IMAGE: my uncle's illegal building (not authorized by swedish departments)
in the swedish mountain woods, small birch-trees

Attachments

• dscn4263.jpg
    dscn4263.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 2,578
Re: Surprise Surprise!

halojoy said:

most of us others, who knew,
thought that you knew also ;) ;)

/halojoy - :cool: also known as "gromanswe" (260 posts) here at diyaudio
and "groman" at AudioAsylum (700 posts) :cool:

I figured this, and I also had the feeling that "halojoy", "groman" and "gromanswe" where the same person.. (From your unique writing style).

Nice little cabin he's got there! ;)

Hi,

Thorsten Loesch = Kuei Yang Wang

Now, if I could be so bold to ask about the story behind your username?

Yup, you grocked it right...

Kuei Yang Wang is one of the possible phonetical renderings of Kaiyanwang, a charater from the Anime' Series 3X3 Eyes also known as Shiva. He was a King of the Ancient Sanjian race (the Triclops for their third eye located in their forehead) and made a pact with the powers of darkness to gain domination of all the worlds (including this one) and in the process cheerfully butchered his own people.

He was stopped of course and put into an eternal state of not quite death and is awaiting his reawakening by his minions of the shadow world. (this does ring a faint bell of the Xenu guy that Ron Hubbard Dude babbled of in the OT levels of COS...).

Well, a pretty mean dude and unsavoury fellow, just right for my own alter ego, if I do not want to be nice and helpfull....

More 3X3 eyes here:

Non-anime watchers review of anime - 3x3 Eyes

Anime-archive.net .. 3x3 Eyes

Sayonara

Kuei Yang Wang said:

Kuei Yang Wang is one of the possible phonetical renderings of Kaiyanwang, a charater from the Anime' Series 3X3 Eyes also known as Shiva.

After googling a little, I kind of suspected something like that...

Now that the secret is out ;) it's actually kind of funny.. I gather you are a big anime fan (I think a saw a couple of movies in the pictures of "your temple").

Oh, gotta go to check out what Ben Harper is moaning about... :cannotbe:

Kuei Yang Wang said:

Kuei Yang Wang is one of the possible phonetical renderings of Kaiyanwang, a charater from the Anime' Series 3X3 Eyes also known as Shiva.

There is a lot of misconception about Shiva in the popular (Western) culture. Shiva is never evil! Shiva is part of the trinity of Gods - Brahma (Creator), Vishnu (Elan vital), and Shiva (Destroyer). Destruction is NOT evil and is part of the natural cycle: Creation - Expansion - Destruction (Oscillating universe in endless expansion-contraction cycle).

Hi,

There is a lot of misconception about Shiva in the popular (Western) culture. Shiva is never evil! Shiva is part of the trinity of Gods - Brahma (Creator), Vishnu (Elan vital), and Shiva (Destroyer). Destruction is NOT evil and is part of the natural cycle: Creation - Expansion - Destruction (Oscillating universe in endless expansion-contraction cycle).

I am quite familiar with Shiva as the actual facette of divinity. However, my comments are strictly in the Context of the Japanese Manga (a Cartoon Magazine) and Anime (Animated Cartoons) Sazan Eyes, where the japanese Author took literary licence to show a different portrail...

Sayonara

Kuei Yang Wang,
i just finished this phono-pre, in a configuration that would have you shaking your head in disgrace:bigeyes: . Poor quality caps, regulated power supply, all the evil things:bawling: . I knocked it up on a VERY tight budget. The first time i tried it, i had a hard-core audiophile with me, and he left cursing. All the money he had spent on expensive equipment did not even come close to my preamp running through a gainclone:clown: . Kudos to you and the excellent schematic. I think i'll try and get the proper parts now seeing how good this is.

Thanks again.
:) :) :) :)

Hamish said:
Kuei Yang Wang,
i just finished this phono-pre, in a configuration that would have you shaking your head in disgrace:bigeyes: . Poor quality caps, regulated power supply, all the evil things:bawling: . I knocked it up on a VERY tight budget. The first time i tried it, i had a hard-core audiophile with me, and he left cursing. All the money he had spent on expensive equipment did not even come close to my preamp running through a gainclone:clown: . Kudos to you and the excellent schematic. I think i'll try and get the proper parts now seeing how good this is.
Thanks again.
:) :) :) :)
Audiophiles
are either made of money
or
they do spend all they have on "snake oil"
leaving nothing for food, clothing and normal life
and all audiophiles
are very easily fooled by listening reviews

/halo - does not believe his ears more than his measurments

it does have a beautiful, honest sound though. much better than anything i have heard commercially available (and i have been giving high-end stores a real workout while i have been building my first system. i don't think they like me much now. i'll HAVE to build it myself, as i don't think they want to do business with me).

OPA627/OPA637

Hi,

There's no doubt that this has to play well.
Thorsten knows what he's doing, I did exchange some e-mails with him once.
I have my oppinion about the best op-amps in the world, each one in it's own application:

- For CD-players: OPA627
- For phono pre-amps: OPA637

That's what I use, after many op-amp tests.:nod:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.