ULTIMATE subwoofer challenge... can you do it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
heres what I have come up with for the high SPL car woofer... single 6.5inch Peerless woofer with 150watt RMS power handeling, and 5mm X-max...

basically its a horn with a nice peak at 65Hz, and a really low cone excursion at this point also... as can be seen from the graphs.. :D

The first pic is all the parameters... the horn is 150cm long with a 200cm square throat and a 1024cm square mouth....
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The second picture is the predected SPL response at 1 metre with 150watts input.... I haven't FULLY tweaked the horn... may be able to get another 1/2 a dB or more..
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And the final picture is the cone excursion with 150watts input... as you can see, 65Hz is a pretty specific frequency, and this will change in the car, and require some tweaking and experimenting...

and on a final note... if this post seems at all familiar... its not.. ;)

I'm making a folded exponential horn to suit 2 venom 8's tomorrow, start of the throat is 280cm2, length is 140cm and throat area is 2240cm2.

I'm actually horn loading a vented rear enclosure tuned to 55hz, no idea what horn resp will think of that, we'll soon find out though;) (this is sized to fit in a hatch so I'm assuming 8pi space or better)

Volenti said:
I'm making a folded exponential horn to suit 2 venom 8's tomorrow, start of the throat is 280cm2, length is 140cm and throat area is 2240cm2.

I'm actually horn loading a vented rear enclosure tuned to 55hz, no idea what horn resp will think of that, we'll soon find out though;) (this is sized to fit in a hatch so I'm assuming 8pi space or better)

isn't that going to sound.. umm.. terrible? :p

porting to 55hz ,if the response is flat already in HORNRESP will ofcourse cause an output peak near here.

i dont know how the 2 systems interact.

Be sure to report on its effectiveness,with and without ports. Because im interested in cars+horn

I was going to make mine this week,but the joinery is too busy
Cheers
:bawling:

Look what i picked up today!

:hot: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:

i now have a decent box for the woofer! il make it tomorow if i can...............

i think 1 of the angles on the folds are wrong,i may have to file it down.

:clown:

Attachments

• basshorn.jpg
    basshorn.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 208
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.