Ultimate real fullrange driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a set of Goodman Axiom golden 10" drivers but my Audio Nirvana 10" drivers in supplier's designed cabinets are far superior in every respect.

Be careful...

It cannot be a final test unless you speak about the entire chain , enclosure , the damping factors in amps , etc etc .... might all be different and will yield completely different results depending on synergy.

Sometimes you might just end up discounting something because you have not tested it with a setup that is specifically optimized for that piece...

Then there is also the ever present subjectivity of people's taste...

So ,,, what was the rest of this system ?

Hello,

I am looking for the best fullrange driver that can cover the bigger part of audio frequency range.
I've thought about Jordan JX92S that seems to be a good compromise, little diameter for treble, big Xmax for bass. What do you think about this choice and in which kind of load? Horn, TL or BR. I think the TL or BR is a better choice regarding T&S parameter. I've read elsewhere on this forum that a BR whith a volume of Vas accorded at Fs (15liter, 45hz) makes some people happy. I simulate this on WinISD and it give the better bass response -3dB point at 45Hz.

I think lowther or fostex are very good speaker too, but it seems to be very difficult to achieve good bass with them, too low Xmax. I have not enough room to install something like Nelson Pass's Klein-Horn... Maybe the best solution to load this kind of speaker...

My music taste is a little progressive rock and a lot classical music (I'm a professional violonist in a french orchestra) whith (of course) a preference for violin music. I like to listen the different sound of all the best violonists (unfortunetly almost all dead today :( ).
For me the best solution I've heard to distingue all this sound difference are esl or magneplanar but I'm sure that a good fullrange can do the same...

Regards
Hugues
I am looking for the best fullrange driver that can cover the bigger part of audio frequency range.
This looks an AER MD3B, much better than AudioActiv, if you can find one used, if not there is the new version:
Treble reach 80kHz it may please you.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Kybu-uxxWDP974zmP3ZzCybR_2QQnNOQVgqEGKg-ouo/edit
20 Hz - 21.000 Hz
20 Hz - 80.000 Hz
106 dB / 1 W / 1 m
100 W / 300 W
16 Ohm
12,8 Ohm
38,1 Hz

Please Note: This FR dont need a sub.

Last edited:
Are this data OK?

20 Hz - 21.000 Hz
20 Hz - 80.000 Hz
106 dB / 1 W / 1 m
100 W / 300 W
16 Ohm
12,8 Ohm
38,1 Hz

Please Note: This FR dont need a sub.

This does not look all too well. 106dB/1W/1m @100Watt?
Also... 106dB/1W/1m @ 20Hz? I'd like to see the box suggested by the manufacturer (I actually expect to see something in the lines of Nelson Pass' Kleinhorn but those 100W for such a sensitive driver make my ears ring (pun intended). Or are we talking of a re-purposed jet engine :)

Gastón

(good 2CU Gaston) here's direct radiator use 2pi, 1 watt, (4 volts for the 16 ohm driver) comparison of a common-cheap Eminence Kappa12a woofer vs the big-magnet AER 8. I think in the "hit" region, the Kappa with its 3" copper voice coil, and mounted in a K12 Karlson, would have pretty good power.(It sounds more immediate than my Klipschorns) I recommend using modest/cheap compression drivers on a standard 1"ID x 5.3" long slot K-tube for treble.

tSolriJ.gif

by spec, the Fostex FE206EN is just as or a bit more efficient than the AER

claimed qts for the 206 is lower than the AES, hence the LF droop for this random BVR

AJgTHps.gif

Last edited:
Hi Freddy! Nice to see you too! I still miss our discussions together with Mike in late Gregg's forum.

This graphics make a lot more sense than that abridged specs. For a direct driver, 106 dB/W/m at 20Hz sounds (pun intended) like too much.

However the specific driver (AER MD3B) document's SPL graphs don't show in detail what happens with the sensitivity under 100Hz. The only graph with some detail in that respect is the Z vs. Freq which shows the resonance at around 38 Hz wih almost no raise in the impedance with the frequency.

Also, to say that a driver has a bandwidth that reaches 80kHz when there is a difference of almost 50dB between the rated SPL and the measured SPL at that frequency is quite a stretch to the credibility of the public. Nothing can be said of the claimed 20Hz of LF response as it is not shown in any of the SPL graphs.

If I had that much money, I'd go to a manufacturer that details their products specifications in a more meaningful and accurate way. Or I'd buy some Lowthers or Fostex (or even some Eminence 15's) and use the rest to buy wood for the baffles.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.