image.php

Build thread: In Development: Hestia V-Dome

Attachments

• capture.JPG
    capture.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 708
Last edited:
Too much time on my hands...
Same skeleton/ mast idea, tried already with Seas 21tv, now with Peerless 2" vintage paper alnico 16 ohm tweeters.

Slam is fantastic once the crossover point is dialed in between the 15" Celestions and the 18" Podium with the plate amplifier.

Will be swapping out the Peerless for a AMT Heli pair from Taiwan this weekend; the Peerless sound good, but better matched with the similar vintage Seas.

Any ideas on how to make these look more palatable?
I'm pretty sure this ( baffleless) is my future road.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    870.2 KB · Views: 2,110
It seems you have many drivers around. Why not make some arrays? It helps a lot in the lower range and dynamics.

A while ago, I made an updated version of M&K S1C's, and ever since then, I've preferred the ease of building satellites with no deep bass shaking either a cabinet or baffle around.

This no baffle stuff I tried as a lark, for something easy to to do one evening, but it seems worthwhile.
I'm just messing about with different combos and rough builds until I find which I will pursue for real.
So far it's like choosing between ice cream flavours- they're all enjoyable.

Thanks, CLS

This is what I've done: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/162783-baffle-less-dipole-array.html#post3239402

As the 4th driver joint in the array short after I built the WMW, it added much more than a portion of 25% of the whole. It feels another 50% or so. Maybe it's the help from the floor.

Very cool. I will be trying something similar (cutout for the magnet within the mast). Read your related post: I forgot I still have a pair of 2" EJ Jordan speakers with a good qts., I think I've found the right tweeters .
Surprisingly, as tweeters from 2500 hz up, they play loud enough to keep up with the much more efficient 15", and 18" drivers.
And are wonderfully smooth and detailed, possibly because their filtered point is 25 times higher than their free air resonance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    402.6 KB · Views: 2,016
Helmholtz dipole?

The most curious OB from a genius designer.

linkwitzlab.com/LXmini/Introduction.htm

maklin-1.jpg

Really cool looking. I would consider this to be a quasi dipole.
It does have back radiation to a degree; modified by a little cavity resonance to enhance output at the crossover region, with less excursion.
I saw something similar with "side" radiation from Gradient years ago. Their slots were designed to radiate out of phase sound from behind the cabinet's baffle, said to enhance imaging.
I have nothing to scale against- my best guess is that bass tube elbows to the smaller one, resulting in a sealed transmission line quarter waved to about 45 hz?
Looks like a smart design, and ought to image like well, with minimal room interaction through the vocals up...
Nice.

To be fair to Mr Linkwitz, I think pictures of the LXmini's should be posted that show them as he designed them, the design he asks people to judge their performance on.

Attachments

• LXmini-inroom-2.jpg
    LXmini-inroom-2.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 565
  • LXmini-closeup.jpg
    LXmini-closeup.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 617
  • transducer-mounting-1.jpg
    transducer-mounting-1.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 547
  • transducer-mounting-2.jpg
    transducer-mounting-2.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 446
I was going through the many drivers I picked up last month and while listening to one set on my desk, they sounded really good near field. Really good. So I decided to put them in the 1 m by 2 m styrene, but they sounded terrible.
The FR is horrible, I put them in the door sized baffle and they sounded dark, minor key, muffled. So I put them in the NOB. Wow. What a transformation.

NOBaffle picture frame, and the sound is beyond what I thought possible.

I am listening to early Eno, and I have known these recordings for decades, yet they are all revealing new details in this setup.
So THAT'S what that LP sounds like!. Hmmm.

The amp is a knock-off, 180Y SS mosfet, 50W design.
The drivers are 40Y a piece.
All other parts and hardware cost less than 60 Yuan.

The NOB are two old wooden window frames that were laying about outside at the local lumber yard, they are suspended via strings (getting chains tomorrow), from a 3.8m long piece of PVC that is sprung between the bamboo screens that line the perimeter of the room. Two 50mm 5mm bolts are attached to each driver with a 5mm nut snugly against the back of the face plate, and the bolts are used as cantilever supports and rest upon the 1 cm wide elastic.

Driver suspension is seamstress elastic, 1 cm wide, tied off on eye-screws put into the corner of the frames.

There are no other drivers, there is no crossover, no EQ, no circuit adjusting the sound. The huge tilt from the bass brings up the lack of baffle roll off such that bass to ~100hz is audible. The amp can be turned up, but excursion becomes an issue with these type of setup.

I am looking for a driver that is 30-350hZ to place beneath this either on the floor or in a baffle ~400 x 600 mm. Correctly matched no Xo or correction circuits will be needed.

Cannot believe how open and detailed this sounds for the price. Absurd.

Photos and specs:
Item detail on TaoBao
喇叭4寸喇叭 4寸低音喇叭4寸低音炮 低音震撼 正品 镇店之宝特价
¥40.00

The driver is an AIRS 4 inch "widerange" with limited treble. 75-8500. It has 50W handling and soaks up watts like a sponge. 88dB sensitivity but sounds like less.

There are 6 makers of drivers in China and they all have similar cones/spiders and designs. AIRS, Aucharm, GuanYin (G-Audio), Swann-HiVi, COSTe, Kasun. I see variations on this 4 inch across all other lines.

Left speaker
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Right speaker
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

FR - note the dip from 2k-6k, this is leveled out by the baffle response at the same frequencies, the baffle being the mounting plate of the driver.

Impedance

Small/Thiele

Last edited: