Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

Tang Band Fullrange + Dipole Bass Array !

Capital Audiofest—Day One | Stereophile.com

“You haven’t heard low frequencies like this before” warned VPI’s Harry Weisfeld, as he cued up a Crystal Clear Charlie Byrd album. He was right. The kick drum had terrific jump factor, the toms definition and power. Solo piano had good weight to the left hand register and ample highs. The Surreal Sound Fifth Row speakers ($19,900/pair in Baltic Birch finish) each combine six 10” woofers operating below 100Hz in a unique slot-loaded dipole array with a full-range driver that at first I took for a Lowther but is actually a Tangbend. (Hope I spelled that correctly.)

071312-Surreal-600.jpg

My upper baffles are 18.75" wide and 24" tall.

Based on comments I read from Godzilla's posts here, I chose to follow his direction and went with the Eminence ASD1001 1" HF TITANIUM HORN DRIVER 1-3/8"-18 TPI and wave guide. I tried several cap values, then settled on the 1.0uF.

The soundstage is huge from the 12LTA drivers and the tweeters just add that last bit of shine. I'm coming off 5 years of full rangers, so a tweeter has taken me a while to accept. It rolls off just over 10kHz.

an15 on almost phy open baffle made of cardboard.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It will probably measure flat if back up to a wall (the 8" seas did the same thing).

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/216802-melon-heads-state-dumb-open-baffle-design-18.html

"40cm centre baffle width with 50cm wings. The centre of the driver is 95cm above the ground. The height of the baffle is 6 feet."

6' tall open baffle, center baffle 15.7", wings 19.7"

Norman

I think I'm falling in love :eek:
So nice!
I was always weary of linkwitz going from an 8" to a tweeter crossed at 1400.
I'm sure these have a great polar response.
I would mount a rear tweeter and use some foam to damp the rear firing highs, just enough to let the dipole cancellation take effect around the baffle. Of course they would have to be crossed slightly lower with a steap slope.