Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

John from AE told me that the TD8M goes up to 4000hz, but he recommended me to cut it to 2500hz.
That's what I did and I'm very happy with the result and it's a great synergy with the Beyma TPL200. It's the first time in recent years that I really enjoy listening to music :)
Vitalica: I see you are selling a B5 because you switched to AudioLense. I plan on trying AudioLense myself but in the meantime I’d be very interested to hear your thoughts based on your experience on the difference in sound quality between an analogue active xover and DSP. (Some say the digital conversion robs the music of something, but on the other hand Audiolense can do SO much more than an analogue xover to deliver accurate sound at the listening position.)

Hi all!
Thank you for your interest about the post.

Here the chassis of the Sheldon the Egg in Stereo setup.:
Bass
Sonido SCW400 unfortunately out of stock since a while
Midrange horn
LMH sTrak 22 cm with 18sound NSD1480N driver
Tweeter horn
LMH sTrak 12 cm in elliptical baffle with 18sound NSD1095N driver

Here the chassis of the VoiceHorn4Desktop setup:
Mono Bass
JBL D208H Alnico with double chamber bass reflex enclosure
Mid Bass
Two 15 inch Celestion FTR15-3070C each side in small open baffle - massive PEQ required to get out bass
Full range in small open baffle
Sonido SFR200-A
Tweeter
Visaton HT21 horn with 18sound NSD1095N driver

It may be interesting to mention that the open baffle Desktop music playback works far better than expected. It was intended only as interim experiment until the final room where the stuff was originally intended to stay is ready after building recovery measures are terminated. I have to think to rebuild the desktop mounted stuff with the full range speaker and the horn tweeter in a new decent looking open baffle with the proper cutouts for the SFR200-A and the HT21.

With Sheldon the Egg i have struggled a while with the passive crossover between the midrange and the tweeter horn, there was no way to get a decent crossover point without a deep break in in the frequency response. I had to divide the passive crossover in two separate channels and to introduce a three way full active setup with a substantial delay between the midrange and the tweeter horn to get a decent flat frequency response.

Greetings all,

since everyone is building one . . .

Front.jpg

Back.jpg

If the shoe driver fits . . .

Back_Assembly.jpg

. . . it is much better to be lucky than to be smart.

Back_Assembly_01.jpg

Kindest regards,

M

Attachments

• Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 103
Hi WBS,

Which TAD woofers are you going to use? I'll be interested in how they perform in an OB.
I actually have several woofers to try. The depicted TAD1601A will be first to try as they have the highest excursion.

However, the work stalled, as I am working on the upper frequency part :
20221017_115843.jpg

to determine the cross-over frequency and since the simulation suggests that the response may extend to 200 -300 Hz, I cannot perform measurements due to inside space limitation and I cannot measure outside since everyday there are winds.

Kindest regards,

M

Reactions: 1 users
Hi WBS,

I actually have several woofers to try. The depicted TAD1601A will be first to try as they have the highest excursion.

However, the work stalled, as I am working on the upper frequency part :
View attachment 1103174
to determine the cross-over frequency and since the simulation suggests that the response may extend to 200 -300 Hz, I cannot perform measurements due to inside space limitation and I cannot measure outside since everyday there are winds.

Kindest regards,

M
I've been reluctant to try my 1601a on OBs due to their .31 QTS. I look forward to your opinion when you try them. :)

Hey OB experts... I have a question about the gap between manufacturer test data and data from a model on a baffle. I'm choosing bass drivers for a cheap "micro-Manzanita" and I'm looking at either the GW-212/4 or the GW-12PC-4. GW-212/4 is dirt cheap, does way better on a baffle model and has a good OB Qts (1.2). GW-12PC manufacturer chart shows it's a good 5-10dB more efficient below Fs, but when I plug it into Basta it's awful efficiency wise. It starts rolling off at like 400Hz on the baffle. I will have to go back and double check the Basta parameters for both drivers.... but I thought the manufacturer tests were done with no baffle, meaning their charts are kind of ground zero for what performance would be with any baffle? Why is the performance of the model so different from the manufacturer's tests?

FWIW I am modeling and planning to use a .5m square baffle.

Hey OB experts... I have a question about the gap between manufacturer test data and data from a model on a baffle. I'm choosing bass drivers for a cheap "micro-Manzanita" and I'm looking at either the GW-212/4 or the GW-12PC-4. GW-212/4 is dirt cheap, does way better on a baffle model and has a good OB Qts (1.2). GW-12PC manufacturer chart shows it's a good 5-10dB more efficient below Fs, but when I plug it into Basta it's awful efficiency wise. It starts rolling off at like 400Hz on the baffle. I will have to go back and double check the Basta parameters for both drivers.... but I thought the manufacturer tests were done with no baffle, meaning their charts are kind of ground zero for what performance would be with any baffle? Why is the performance of the model so different from the manufacturer's tests?

FWIW I am modeling and planning to use a .5m square baffle.
1666964430024.png

qts only 0.49

How does that affect the performance in a baffle? Here are the manufacturer freq response tests overlayed (red = 12PC-4, black = 212/4... disregard impedance; SPL is on same scale, impedance is not). 12PC is 5-7dB more sensitive across the freq range I plan to use and I'm assuming they test the drivers with no baffles. But Basta says 12PC sucks for bass in OB. Not super worried about Xmax as I'm not going to blast these or listen to super bass heavy music but I do want all the LFE I can get.

1666967348640.png

How does that affect the performance in a baffle? Here are the manufacturer freq response tests overlayed (red = 12PC-4, black = 212/4... disregard impedance; SPL is on same scale, impedance is not). 12PC is 5-7dB more sensitive across the freq range I plan to use and I'm assuming they test the drivers with no baffles. But Basta says 12PC sucks for bass in OB. Not super worried about Xmax as I'm not going to blast these or listen to super bass heavy music but I do want all the LFE I can get.

View attachment 1103849
simple fake manufacturer freq response

From time to time I stumbled across really nice OB / Dipole designs. Usually I just put them in my favorites, but it may be really nice if we have an exhaustive list of OB systems out there.

Post your systems too! Pics and short description.

===

Let me start with this really nice implementation by Perfect8. No spouse frowning here :D

p_force.jpg

p_point.jpg

http://www.perfect8.com
Is that because the spouse is stuffed inside?