Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

I tried 4 pcs 18 dayton umax without baffle sub, measuredly it is a killer and it plays loud, but it is not the dipole sound I like, not the weightless quick sound

have tried 3-4 solutions with 18 inches, always fall back to 15´ as the best choice for dipole bass
Some 18 have very heavy cones, suitable for subwoofer duties only. Faital Pro 18fh500 and 510 have the lightest cone, and perform superb 30-250hz
Dayton 655g (fs20hz , eff 88db)
Faital 137g (fs30hz, eff 100db)
That is quite a difference, they ain't gonna sound the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Peak acceleration of a woofer might be a possible predictor of low frequency high displacement impact in an OB?

Driver cone wt might only be the start. A compliant suspension, low inductance and strong motor may be other factors.

The FaitalPRO 18FH500 compared to the Dayton looks designed as a woofer rather then a sub, with better QMS, Cms, Le and Bl:

FaitalPRO 18FH500 on OB 80-100Hz a~1,500m/s2
1654934222575.png

Dayton UM18-22 on OB 80-100Hz a~ 500m/s2
1654934272132.png

I tried 4 pcs 18 dayton umax without baffle sub, measuredly it is a killer and it plays loud, but it is not the dipole sound I like, not the weightless quick sound

have tried 3-4 solutions with 18 inches, always fall back to 15´ as the best choice for dipole bass
I've seen this layout (two unbaffled woofers facing each other) before but it puzzles me. I'm scratching my head to understand what the benefit is compared to a single woofer. And I can't work out how you'd connect the pair. Because if they move together (both drivers moving towards the listener at the same time), then surely there would be significant cancellation of the "inner" radiation, so that you'd get pretty much the same SPL at the listening position as a single OB woofer would give. But if they are connected so they move in opposition to one another, they will not radiate in a dipole pattern, but in a quadrupole pattern, which is probably not desirable either.
Can I ask how yours are (or were) connected, and what your thinking is?

Reactions: 1 user
I've seen this layout (two unbaffled woofers facing each other) before but it puzzles me. I'm scratching my head to understand what the benefit is compared to a single woofer. And I can't work out how you'd connect the pair. Because if they move together (both drivers moving towards the listener at the same time), then surely there would be significant cancellation of the "inner" radiation, so that you'd get pretty much the same SPL at the listening position as a single OB woofer would give. But if they are connected so they move in opposition to one another, they will not radiate in a dipole pattern, but in a quadrupole pattern, which is probably not desirable either.
Can I ask how yours are (or were) connected, and what your thinking is?

yes, mine play in the same direction, it gives 6 db more output, but it also requires double power, double amplifiers. I also tried simple elements in a small baffle, but it shakes like hell when you play loud, you connect 2 pieces together and hang them from the magnets there are no vibrations, you can play 120 db 30 hz with that arrangement, pretty sick without baffle, but as I said, this is not the open baffle sound I want, the bass seems slow, probably the amplifiers can not control the heavy-duty elements as they should, I like better 15 inches with efficiency 95-97 db, I have also tested AE and Gpa 18, I still like 15 inches best

yes, mine play in the same direction, it gives 6 db more output, but it also requires double power, double amplifiers. I also tried simple elements in a small baffle, but it shakes like hell when you play loud, you connect 2 pieces together and hang them from the magnets there are no vibrations, you can play 120 db 30 hz with that arrangement, pretty sick without baffle, but as I said, this is not the open baffle sound I want, the bass seems slow, probably the amplifiers can not control the heavy-duty elements as they should, I like better 15 inches with efficiency 95-97 db, I have also tested AE and Gpa 18, I still like 15 inches best
Thanks, that's interesting. Do measurements confirm that you really get 6dB extra across the operating range? I've always been concerned that arranging drivers like that would result in substantial cancellation of the 'inner' radiation.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
That’s why slob is great. Smaller drivers for low mass, opposed motion for force cancellation, slot loading for cone control and some directional gain, driver arranged for suspension distortion reduction. I used 8x 6.5in woofers is same area as much larger driver but speed of smaller drivers. The slot loading depth provides natural acoustic low pass filter. Article by Nelson Pass (he used 6x 8in woofers):

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/diy/0911/slot_loaded_open_baffle_speaker.htm

The force cancellation is a big deal because even at full volume - full force, the speaker cabinet doesn’t shake. Here’s how I arranged the drivers - magnet facing cone so that motions are in opposite directions relative to driver frame but push-push in slot to squeeze air out by flipped polarity between two drivers. 8 drivers wired 4 parallel / 2 series / 2 parallel for 4ohms nominal. Distortion was -45dB at 50Hz and 90dB. Very clean sounding.

1654950086461.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thanks, Fedde!

With wings:
1654962339204.jpeg

The side wings makes it a U baffle with effective baffle width of about 28in to give good bass extension. The bass goes down to about 37Hz -6dB and 44Hz -3dB no EQ. Sensitivity is about 90.5dB at 2.83v (but 4ohms) and this is with OB losses etc.

Given the massive cone area and low distortion, if this was actively driven with DSP, it would be easy to get more bass extension. Passive crossover is at 470Hz between bass and mid (PRV 5MR450NdY) and 4700Hz between mid and planar (GRS PTT2522-4) tweeters. Here is SLOB bass array raw response - note that I was able to tame some of the HD peaks near 200Hz to 400Hz with butyl rubber applied to the basket.
1654961829992.png

Overall response with 3 way passive crossover:
1654961951953.png

crossover response:
1654962095318.png

More info here.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
That’s why slob is great. Smaller drivers for low mass, opposed motion for force cancellation, slot loading for cone control and some directional gain, driver arranged for suspension distortion reduction. I used 8x 6.5in woofers is same area as much larger driver but speed of smaller drivers. The slot loading depth provides natural acoustic low pass filter. Article by Nelson Pass (he used 6x 8in woofers):

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/diy/0911/slot_loaded_open_baffle_speaker.htm

The force cancellation is a big deal because even at full volume - full force, the speaker cabinet doesn’t shake. Here’s how I arranged the drivers - magnet facing cone so that motions are in opposite directions relative to driver frame but push-push in slot to squeeze air out by flipped polarity between two drivers. 8 drivers wired 4 parallel / 2 series / 2 parallel for 4ohms nominal. Distortion was -45dB at 50Hz and 90dB. Very clean sounding.

View attachment 1063196

hi, very exciting the slob solution, I can ask, what is the max spl on this bass arrangement, and shakes the construction if one plays loud?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I was listening at 98dB at about 2.5m away and the sound was still clear and head room was still there. The woofers can take about 500w because there are 8 of them. The mid range is a PA driver rated for 225W and 95dB sensitivity.

1655061873742.jpeg

2.83v at 4ohms is 2W. If we assume max power is about 500W, that is about 24dB on top of 91dB so 115dB max SPL.

At 98dB at 2.5m there was no cabinet vibration from driver motion. Only the air pressure pushing on the wings but that was minimal.

Reactions: 5 users
Hi,

my last test open baffle:
last Modul OB front.jpg

last Modul OB back.jpg

2 x Kenford HW1206 bass,
Sica without the whizzercone,
cheap 49cent noname-chassis mounted at Horn from an old BELL-PA,
Dayton mini-8 AMT
passiv and aktiv by miniDSP 2x4HD

This one works really great, but show must go on...

my current openbaffle, shown on the german "Frickelfest Essential 2021"
Frickelfest Essentials 2021.jpg

2x12" Kenford HW1206Bass in folded Dipol like the "Eternal Arts" Dipol,
Top Design is a mix on the basis from Alexander Heissmann Acoustic and the sidewing-theorie (2"and15") by GR-Research
Speakers are Blaupunkt Suprakustik and seas DXT

xover and filtered by miniDSP 4x10HD and powered by 2x24Volt Akku-powered TDA7294 class AB-Amplifiers

my corrent projekt:

openbaffle-passivmembran
IMG_20220519_122820331_copy_816x612.jpg

The Idea is based on the AlphaPat20.

my version is a little bit smaller, only 15" passiv membrane (from an old broken JBL-Chassis, driven by a Visaton W130S. for mid andhHigh I use Visaton FRS7A behind a self designed and 3D-printing waveguide.

xover and filtered by minidsp 4x10HD,