Ultimate listening test - trial no. 3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, here is a new ABX test, I hope I have avoided my previous mistakes :)
There are 2 files to be compared, download link is

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zbrjag00pdyqdhm/kiwimango.zip

Please post only screenshots from foobar ABX utility, minimum number of trials is 6 for me to consider your test as valid. At the moment I only ask if you hear a difference, which would be supported by your ABX result. In case you would like to share your preference, then send me a PM, please.

----------------------

December 5:
I have one more test, file data vs. D/A --> A/D conversion

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3597rrcy2xi7bnl/pearapple.zip

Those who are interested, please post ABX screenshots.
----------------------
December 12, new test:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b6q9le2kw5ls5i2/kiwimike.zip

not only ABX screenshots but also sound preferences are appreciated in this test.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Latest Test.

Attachments

• Test.JPG
    Test.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 343
Files are misaligned by 183 samples; mango starts later.

Not sure what intended tweak was; dither? Spectra are virtually identical; gains match to 0.05dB.

ABX transition is like small fast rewind/ fast forward. Slight delay becomes discernible. For me positive trigger was switching from kiwi to mango.

removing 183 samples from mango reduced me to guessing status with ABX.

I'm one of those unfortunate people who know a little too much about software, so I tend to bypass the twee little sillinesses that a lot of modern software wants to inflict upon one. Which is shorthand for saying that I thought I would bite the bullet, and try this ABX thing in foobar ... OK, I'll get the whatever is necessary, and give it a go ...

Silly me! Spent an hour fighting the bloody foobar nonsense, in the end got around the dumb setting, 'cuteness', getting in the way - these days it's a battle trying to find decent help on recent software - still was very unhappy about my options for setting volume ... I was really p!ssed off, big time, by this stage ... just the perfect mood for doing some listening ...

Almost right. Let's wait a while still. You might be surprised then.

In this test, we have very few positive results from ABX (I cannot take into account yours, if you do not mind). Mooly was the first with a positive result and he has described to me in a PM what he was concentrated on. I have about 2 or 3 postive results from our local forum as well.
The file difference made by diffmaker is pretty audible, but it does not mean the files are easily distinguishable by listening.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4zbiucqg205kd29/mango-kiwi_shorted.wav

On the other hand, from the 16 bit x 24 bit that I posted in Mooly's thread I have more than 10 positive ABX rresults from readers from diyaudio and our local forum. In that test, file difference is completely inaudible, when listened in isolation from music. But, people are able quite easily find reliable audible difference between those files. It returns to me the thoughts about Oohashi's experiment.

No one else here had used Multi Track to catch the 3.8ms shift, which I was unaware off. The only positive ABX result here, except of yours, was sent by Mooly, before you. In a PM he had described to me in detail which part of music he concentrated on and found the audible difference. I tried the same part as well and got 5/6 success.

BTW, attached is the test schematic.

Attachments

• test_schema.PNG
    test_schema.PNG
    34.4 KB · Views: 162
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member

All these tests seem remarkable in that we can pick such slight audible differences out. I take it the square wave performance is exemplary on the active side... course it is, silly question :) If you were listening via speakers and without the luxury of the ABX comparator I would say that the differences would go unnoticed. The real and big sonic differences seem to come with the power amp stages and the amp/speaker interface.

These are very interesting tests though.

Mooly, you are the one to be awarded. There were no positive ABX results before yours. Only after you told me where you ABX - ed the difference, I was able to repeat it and received 5/6 score. I gave the same test on our local forum. Again, no one was able to get positive result. Then I gave them a hint and it resulted in only 2 positive results! So, this test has been pretty difficult.

On the other hand, I have received 11 positive ABX results from the 16bit x 24bit test, much more than I have expected.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.