Ultimate Class D amps for active speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
nah well I think its probably just for the diy modules not the fully kitted out cased up units

on the XO modules here at the shop you'll notice the DCN23, DCN24 and kits that include it have a dropdown menu next to the price where you can select stock NE5532, or LM4562, AD8620, or OPA2134. sounds like yours is using the LM4562 by default, which is a nice chip and you would have had to ask specifically for a custom build with the AD8620. i'd say it would have cost you a pretty penny looking at their upgrade pricing, save that tweak for later if you feel the need, easy enough to do yourself and the national chip is a good performer, whether just changing the opamp would produce an audible benefit over the LM is debateable, depends on who you talk to =)

what input are you using for digital source? the USB input seems a bit lacking (isochronous and 16bit 44.1/48kHz USB 1.x) for best computer audio connection to it, you would want to buy a better USB->spdif convertor to give you 24bits of actual audio input for the filters and DSP to work with, otherwise it upsamples everything to get that bandwidth to work with, but that doesnt change what youve input. later down the track you could look at modding it for i2s input before the DSP at the output of the spdif receiver.

the spdif inputs are native 24/96 so use those if you can, they will give you better results than the USB, which seems to me like it needs an update.

Last edited:
I'm going to get Bob Cordell's torture track (Ricky Lee Jones) and feed it into Audacity and see what comes out when its high-passed.

@hochopeper I've just done this on 'Ghetto of my Mind' - high pass filtering after normalizing to full scale (it needed 0.3dB of gain) reduced the peaks by 3dB for 24dB high pass slope at 1700Hz. The corresponding low pass slope reduced the peaks by 4dB. In this case for the same sensitivity drivers the tweeter amp would need to be 1dB more powerful than the bass/mid one.

Moving the turnover frequency up to 3400Hz gives 5.1dB reduction in the peak value for the HP and 1.5dB for the LP.

Maybe your XO freq is a little low (for this extreme case at any rate)?

Last edited:
nah well I think its probably just for the diy modules not the fully kitted out cased up units

on the XO modules here at the shop you'll notice the DCN23, DCN24 and kits that include it have a dropdown menu next to the price where you can select stock NE5532, or LM4562, AD8620, or OPA2134. sounds like yours is using the LM4562 by default, which is a nice chip and you would have had to ask specifically for a custom build with the AD8620. i'd say it would have cost you a pretty penny looking at their upgrade pricing, save that tweak for later if you feel the need, easy enough to do yourself and the national chip is a good performer, whether just changing the opamp would produce an audible benefit over the LM is debateable, depends on who you talk to =)

what input are you using for digital source? the USB input seems a bit lacking (isochronous and 16bit 44.1/48kHz USB 1.x) for best computer audio connection to it, you would want to buy a better USB->spdif convertor to give you 24bits of actual audio input for the filters and DSP to work with, otherwise it upsamples everything to get that bandwidth to work with, but that doesnt change what youve input. later down the track you could look at modding it for i2s input before the DSP at the output of the spdif receiver.

the spdif inputs are native 24/96 so use those if you can, they will give you better results than the USB, which seems to me like it needs an update.

Think you will actually find that the DCN23 and DCN24 are lower spec than the DCN28 even with the best options selected.

The DCN24 at 6,658 DKK and the DCN28 at 31,700 DKK is nearly 5 times the price, and will have the good stuff in it. :D

I am actually thinking about using the DCN23 for the rear speakers as it is indentical to the DCN24 but with one less channel. I already have the advanced software.

Input is up in the air at the moment but I would like it to be digital to avoid a DAC to ADC in the X-Over... http://www.groundsound.com/dcn28/DCN28SignalFolw.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, that's right - 3.6dB less power requirement for the tweeter than the bass/mid at an XO of 3.4kHz. So with hochopeper's 4dB difference in sensitivity that would mean 7.6dB more power is needed in the bass/mid amp than the tweeter.

Expressed another way - a 10W tweeter amp matches a 58W bass/mid amp for these parameters. At the lower XO of 1.7kHz, a 10W tweeter amp matches a 20W bass/mid.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.