UK Aleph-X PCB orders

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Mosfets!

Right I stand reasonable chance of getting some matched mosfets from Anders..........

the transistors are IRFP044N

I would like to get interest in at least 100.........

I need 50 is ther anybody else interested............

Anders recons that he can get a batch set + match them + he gets very good deals..........

Please post!

Hello D3

How many of these IRFP044N are needed for a stereo Aleph-X or does it depend on how high you want the output to be?

You might be guessing that I havent read much of the info about the Aleph-X and you would be right. I dont have the time at the moment, far too much studying to be done sadly:bawling:

I am planning on starting actual construction after my exams in june and trying to get in on all these group buys now to save me some money even though I dont know what parts make up an Aleph-X.:xeye:

Thanks
Mark.

Mosfets

Hi Kram well i am working on 16 mosfets per side and I hope to get the bias to approx 8A.....see enclosed diagram....therefore min 32 req. to give 100w performance

I am ordering 50 just in case + I will have enough to do a mini Aleph for rear channels.

Check out.......the thread with latest calcs.....using excel.....I have enclosed ...... a view......

Attachments

• 25v.jpg
    25v.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 262
bigparsnip

I have allreday let D3 know about my interest in a few of the group buy things.

In an earlier post D3 said that people should email him with there orders for heatsinks and transformers so he could compile a list and post it on here at a later date. I think that was the plan.

since then I have also decided to join the capacitor group buy and probably the mosfet group buy too. I cant remember who was organising these though.

Thanks
Mark.

Parts.....

Transformers D3 Once we get pcb's I will order Tranny's......
however 1000va items will be very heavy! It may pay Jason to collect his by car! Or it may be better to get the delivery to go to Jason..................

Heatsinks D3 Once we get pcb's I will order sinks....once I have recieved relavent cheques. However...we may get stung for vat.....but I would email you on this.....

Mosfets?

Capacitors Bigparsnip

Back again.......

Hi All,

just been away for a week! Snow was very good and the weather stunning!!!! Ah, the joy of 2 planks!!

My suggestion for dual primaries was only if it was a minimal cost to add flexibility if I wanted to sell on the amps later. I am happy with the rest of the spec (1000VA, shielded, std fittings etc). I would like 2 (one for each of my planned monoblocks). I'm also looking for caps / mosfets / sinks. I'll look at those in more detail, and email individuals tomorrow.

Cheers

Jon

Right, so far (unless they have turneed up this morning, as I haven't been to check my mail yet), I still haven't recieved the PCB's. Also, seen aas how HiFizen mentioned a delay in getting them sent out I'm not too sure how much longer they should be, but hopefully it won't be too long now.

Also, I think now would be a good time to order the capacitors for anyone who wants them (I noticed other people starting to take an intrest and didn't want them all dissapearing before we could get some) so I will hopefully be doing thatat about 8pm tomorrow evening. If you aren't on the list below yet and do want to get in on this, let me know before then and I should be able to add you on.

D3 12
Kram 12
Jason 30
me ~18 (at the moment)

I reacon that the price should be about £4.00 each after everything like import duty and all of the postage costs, but as I'm not too sure how things will go yet, I would advise people not to send me any money now, but to wait until I have the capacitors and I can confirm how much the final price will be.

andrew.

sinks

Yes....i have a list on my home pc...........I will post it tonight.

Just a thought, I am thinking about using forced air ducting.....to
increase the airflow through the heatsink fins.........do you recon that would improve cooling effeciency dramatically.

My plan is to use 2 120mm computer fans at low speed and create a light airflow over both sinks....have you any thoughts/ideas?????

Attachments

• cooling aleph-x.jpg
    cooling aleph-x.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 242
I would sujest getting yourself some of the fanse first and run them whilst you are listening to your curent setup to see if you can cope with the extra noise (at the moment, I normaly have my PC on all the time in my room here at university, and once the music gets past very quiet it becomes very dificult to hear the fans in opperation, and I have six 80mm fans - all be it very quiet ones - in there).

If you can cope with 92mm ones, have a look at the page below, as I have bought fans from her before and they are some of the quietest ones you will be able to get your hands on at very good prices.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dorothy.bradbury/panaflo.htm

fans

BP thanks great thread.............I have experimented with std pc fans and simply installing a pot in the supply allows you to slow down the fan & still get say 25% airflow but then the fan is almost silent.

What I am unsure of ...is ...the ammount of cooling that will be provided by forced moving air.....over the heatsink fins.....
by my gut feelings ...it should be alot more efficient.......what do you think???

I am also thinking of installing a temp sensor that can increase fan speed if overheating occurs.........

:hot: :smash: :confused: :cool:

I guess it is quite hard to say exatcly how much extra cooling you will get by adding the fans, however I recal some people have reported anyhting from a doubling in capacity up to fife or six times the efficiency (which I guess must be believable, as the heatsink on my CPU can dissipate about 80W of heat from the tiny chip die, with only a ~20 degree rise in temp, and that measures only 80 X 80 X 30mm).

As far as the fan controler goes, because this will be on a class a amp, the sinks should stay roughly the same temperature all of the time. So, the only benifit of this circuit would be for when the temperature you your room changes, or during start up, as for the the rest of the time notthing should be changing. So, you may be just as well off using a manual control that you can turn up a bit when it gets warm in the summer and back of in the colder winter months (assuming your room tepmerature will actualy change much at all with your heating and things being taken into account).

Actualy, I just went back to conrad to have a look at their forced cooling heatsink (the MF18), and it looks like you could use one or two of these to create a very compact chassis still giving very good cooling.

For example, if you took the 151.1 section with a thermal resistance of 0.46 deg/W in free air. This drops right down to 0.11deg/W with a 27cfm forced air stream, whihch would be about average if you tunneled all of the air from one of the 92mm fans from the above link running at 7V over it. So, if you put two of these sinks in your chasis, allong with two of the fans runing at 7V, you would have a combined thermal resistance of about 0.06deg/W, which should be more than enought to cool one chanel of your proposed specifications.

:cold:

Hi All,

having reviewed the thread, I would like to put myself down for the following:

3 trannies
32 fets
4 sinks
8 caps

I, too, would like to hold off the sink order for a while, to get the chassis design and cooling right.

<offtopic>I am using one 1000VA tranny for my 4 channel gainclone project (with 8 rectifiers) - anyone see any probs with that??</offtopic>

I will be happy to organise the FET group buy - pse send all your details to my secondary account: jc at gt6 dot co dot uk

Cheers!

Jon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.