uh, and i ******* up again, caps and rectifiers got ugly warm - dead?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
demogorgon said:
now, i checked, and checked again, but this thing is still acting so wierd..

could it be that the cap is shot, and that there is contact to some extent inside it, why in the hell would it get hot otherwhise?

this thing is bugging me out..
the lm ic's seem fine though, getting warm, but nothing more than a lm3886 turning on for the first time is supposed to get..

BAH!!

thanks
marius

Marius,

Do this methodologically. Disconnect anything from the supply - GC, buffer, what have you. Then disconnect the two supplies from each other. Then recheck each separate supply (transformer sec, bridge, reservoir cap). See that you get 2 times a correct DC. If that works, connect the two supplies together and see if you get the three wires with +, 0, - voltage.

Next, measure the resistance on the buffer and GC between the supply pins and each of the pins to the GC and buffer ground (still no supply connected).
You should not get a very low value, a few k is OK. Note: if you have caps on the GC and buffer, they will charge when you measure resistance and it will LOOK as if the resistance starts at zero and then climbs up. That's OK, if in doubt let us know what you measure. If you measure something that looks like .6 or .7, reverse the meters on your resistance meter.

Then connect the buffer only, if possible, to the supply. See if that stays in one piece. If yes, check the DC out of the buffer. If (close to) zero, try to play some sound through the buffer.

Then to the GC, connect supply, check for DC out, should max be a few tens of mV. If OK, you're home free. If not, tough luck....

Jan Didden

janneman said:
Don't tell me you guys put the whole thing together and then turn it on?? That's daft!

Jan Didden

My advice was for Marius and is the same for any beginner.
Actually I was joking, but I've seen many things happen with beginners, that in the end it's not such a joke.

I don't do that, because I have my methods of working, checking and measuring before powering everything on.

Oh no Rovsing, not again
Are you ever gonna learn that

Steenoe

Well....... i was not quite sure that it was wrong the first time, so offcourse i did it on purpose the second time, to doublecheck i'm sure you'll understand.......:D :D :D
Learning by doing i've learned it twice...
Am i on deep water now ???:clown:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.