UGS Power : it's U.P.

BS170 in diff protection circuit keeps blowing

Hi everyone. A couple of years ago I built some amps similar to Chef's U.P. in the first post which included the diff protection circuit. The amps have been great so far, except for one problem: the BS170 after the "B1" opamp segment in the protection circuit keeps blowing randomly. I have attached a screenshot of the schematic with the culprit circled in red for clarification.

I have built several channels using this protection circuit and they have all blown this FET. It became so much of a hassle to keep replacing the FET that I disabled the protection circuit on all the amps and have been using them without any offset protection for about a year! (fingers crossed. . .)

Anyway, the circuit works fine, but at random times when turning on the amps, this FET will blow. Sometimes one fet will last a month or more after I'd
d replace it. Sometimes it'd blow as soon as I'd replace it. The one constant is that it would always blow when turning on the amp from standby.

Anybody else have this problem? Any ideas?

Thanks.

Scott

Attachments

• blown_bs170.jpg
    blown_bs170.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 707
Zen Mod, I assume you meant Vgs, not Ugs? I guess I didn't look at the datasheet hard enough. I didn't even think to look at Vgs. Saw that Vds was 60V and just assumed that over voltage wasn't the issue.

I'll try your suggestion or try to find a replacement with a higher Vgs rating.

Thanks.

Scott