UGS adventures

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
steenoe said:
What Shanlin is it?? A Shanlin can be anything from a 10p. opamp to a dozen OPA627's to Tubes output. Measuring impedance correctly is not the easyist thing to do, if you want a try, have a go:
http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/5950-3000.pdf

Oh, and Manu, impedance is Z, not R. It doesnt really have much to do with DC-resistance.

:)

"..............there are no pure R, C or L ..........."

same as there are no pure Manu,ZM or Steen........

:rofl:

:devily:

Impedance is the collective opposition of R, C and L against AC current flow, at least usually when "we" use the term. A DVM measurement is useless. The result depends on the interaction of output-Z contra input-Z. It can be explained a bit broader and philosophical, though:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impedance
Something for the philosophical, have fun with figuring it out;)
BTW, a discussion about impedance mismatch is more or less pointless I guess, if the correct output-Z of the source is unknown??

Na finally a topic, the one the intonation of which is normal.
There is no superiority in it, only joviality.
It is necessary to respect nobody less you are because his opinion is other less only understands we say it to the electronics.
I can bring a good example: The One and Only. The modesty is game for his name already.
I will not bring a bad example though because it is a discourtesy.

Gyuri

Gyuri said:
Na finally a topic, the one the intonation of which is normal.
There is no superiority in it, only joviality.
It is necessary to respect nobody less you are because his opinion is other less only understands we say it to the electronics.
I can bring a good example: The One and Only. The modesty is game for his name already.
I will not bring a bad example though because it is a discourtesy.

Gyuri

Gyuri, I believe that your post should be in this thread??, but thanks for the support, indeed:) :

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1619679#post1619679

Zen Mod said:

Certainly ;

from bible steen pointed to you ...

My fault, I only read page 2 ...
But now Of course I will read entire paper ...

Mebbe CeeVee could managed to look inside the drekkk and tell us how output config looks like, kind of schematic ...
Would it not be enough for you to tell something about possibly ideal impedance of following drekkk (pre- in that case)?

Manu

Only non-comittally .

Only in this manner long!

Now from ABBA, I got converted something entirely onto something else.
Steenoe, transpire one of my favourite composers?
The son of your beautiful homeland: it was Dieterich Buxtehude, who was Bach father-in-law almost, only the trouble that his daughter was ugly famously.
Apology from the ladies: There is not a ugly woman in any case.

It arouses a pain which cannot be declared although it is the beautiful piece, to which I listen now, in me.

Gyuri

Re: Only non-comittally .

Gyuri said:
Only in this manner long!

Now from ABBA,l I got converted something entirely onto something else.
Steenoe, transpire one of my favourite composers?
The son of your beautiful homeland: it was Dieterich Buxtehude, who was Bach father-in-law almost, only the trouble that his daughter was ugly famously.
Apology from the ladies: There is not a ugly woman in any case.

Gyuri

I throw the towel in the ring, You totally lost me there...... Did you by any chance have too much Babbelfish under the vest?? I know its an unlikely thought, since I made one myself:D

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Manu said:

My fault, I only read page 2 ...
But now Of course I will read entire paper ...

Mebbe CeeVee could managed to look inside the drekkk and tell us how output config looks like, kind of schematic ...
Would it not be enough for you to tell something about possibly ideal impedance of following drekkk (pre- in that case)?

Manu

even grunschnabell , as I am , can tell that ......

anyway - to cut a dreking about Drekling - it have certainly low enough output impedance , presuming that UGS thingie have at least 10K of input impedance ;

on the other hand - output impedance (of source in question ) can't tell entire story about that stage drive capability , or better said , drive quality .

in other words - drek is drek , doesn't matter is it Drekling ........ or something else

not first and not last piece of overengineering drek ; that's why we are hangin' here ( virtual Papaland ) ......... to learn and share pieces of not-overengineering ..........

learn and have fun ; cut/copy/paste ............. but -think- as qonditio sine qua non

Papa always writes longest replies to plain puzzle handlers .

point/punkt/period

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Guys,

Got back from weekend .....wow you have been busy.

My Shanling is a CD-S100MK II.

I don't have the schematic but your sugestion that i can toss out a few opamps after the DA sounds very "lampizator"ish.

and most probably right.

something for me to think about.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
take 2

Tried a run of the mill dvd player :Cambrige Audio DVD87

lo and behold ...enormous improvement in sound, clarity and bass amazingly solid.

Listening to Tony Joe White for your info, has a pretty nice bass line
and listened again to Diana Krall , definitley an enormous gain in definition and clarity, voice is so real .

:D this i like.

Now to figure out how i get the sound i do for 30% of the Shanling.
Lampizator to the rescue ? someone has the sch for the Shanling output stage ? guess i'll have to bypass all the op-amps .

I'll get the lid off the Shanling and have a look-see to try and find out the output Z.

As I said I gave Shanling back to seller.
Not that it must be the right solution for you...

Anyway you can ask my master ZM what to do (in my opinion he is way better than Lampiz but don't tell him that I said that)
or you manage to find any willing-to-buy sucker in order to get rid of shanling ...

Manu

For myself, the most I am using UGS the most I am happy with it.
Together with ONO ... but thats another story

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi ZM,

started a new thread, i thinks a lot of people will be interested in this issue.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=130568

I'll draw the schematic of the output section but i would guess that you are going to suggest, ...bypass the whole thing ( after DAC output ) and let's make a new and sensible one ? no ?

Picture is in new thread.

Thanks for your interest ZM.