• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

uFonken88

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
fakeout, you're running the risk of paralysis by analysis - the sooner you pull the trigger and decide on a driver and enclosure for your first build the better

I stick with my earlier recommendation of the EL70 - the smallest box I've heard it in is the http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FAL/downloads/mMar-Kel70-1v0-map-231009.pdf

if those dimensions are too large for your desk-top application, look at either the Fostex FF85WK or Fountek FR88EX - they're within $2 of each other, and I've built smallish boxes for both

of the latter 2, I prefer the Fostex

one step up in the Fountek line ( i.e FR89EX) puts you in the price range of Fostex FF105WK, Alpair6P or M, then there's the whole line of TangBand, and others - it's just too easy to get bewildered - see opening sentence

fat lotta help we are :rolleyes:

Yeah, the only thing is, with the Tang Band, I see all kinds of messages that go in every direction. Tang Band is where people don't agree I guess, lol.

I did see a Planet 10 message though that almost creeped me out about Fostex though:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/56478-driver-real-fe103a.html

I've yet to find a set of the Foster version that don't need to have their surround reattached... you don't want to stress them to much until they are repaired.

What in the world does this mean? (Oops, it says Foster, not Fostex haha.)

Oh well, got my tracking number for my Solen.ca order of $7 Visaton R10SC drivers and $24 Lepai amp. Kind of an x-mas gift to myself. :xmasman: I'll probably be experimenting lots with cardboard boxes I guess.

fakeout, you're running the risk of paralysis by analysis - the sooner you pull the trigger and decide on a driver and enclosure for your first build the better

I stick with my earlier recommendation of the EL70 - the smallest box I've heard it in is the http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FAL/downloads/mMar-Kel70-1v0-map-231009.pdf

if those dimensions are too large for your desk-top application, look at either the Fostex FF85WK or Fountek FR88EX - they're within $2 of each other, and I've built smallish boxes for both

of the latter 2, I prefer the Fostex

one step up in the Fountek line ( i.e FR89EX) puts you in the price range of Fostex FF105WK, Alpair6P or M, then there's the whole line of TangBand, and others - it's just too easy to get bewildered - see opening sentence

fat lotta help we are :rolleyes:

I think examining and exploring different ideas is fun. I don't think you need to worry about analysis/paralysis. I read an older message saying Planet 10 had thousands of CAD designs for different enclosures. Funny thing is, I didn't say I also ordered a pair of Veravox 3X. I have no idea what the specs are and can't wait to experiment. If Planet 10 has thousands of plans, I wonder if he has a Veravox 3X plan. Actually, I'm joking but I did read they're somewhat comparable to Fostex FF85K. I'd like to hook them up to an old Sanyo boombox if I can find out what connectors I need to connect them to the side jacks. They look like the same mini size that goes into a computer, not sure yet.

Thinking....of building another

Over the years I have built many different speakers; blh and similar. I confess i wanted always to do my own thing mostly and resisted using proven designs except for my current BIB with the ff165k. I like a bigger cabinet mostly for them to be a floor stander but am willing to make the music the ultimate goal, and not be constrained by what i think(bigger is better?) I have enjoyed the musicality of 3-4" drivers(126e) but ended up ultimately overpowering them. I agree also that fostex have an irritating hf.

So I am thinking about using the EL70 or Alpair 6.2 or 7.3(this last one would be constrained choice because of cost) or the FF125wk.

I like the build of the "mini" BIB or also the Frugal mk 3

Any suggestions? for what to build? my room size is 13'x14' amp will be lm3875

Over the years I have built many different speakers; blh and similar. I confess i wanted always to do my own thing mostly and resisted using proven designs except for my current BIB with the ff165k. I like a bigger cabinet mostly for them to be a floor stander but am willing to make the music the ultimate goal, and not be constrained by what i think(bigger is better?) I have enjoyed the musicality of 3-4" drivers(126e) but ended up ultimately overpowering them. I agree also that fostex have an irritating hf.

So I am thinking about using the EL70 or Alpair 6.2 or 7.3(this last one would be constrained choice because of cost) or the FF125wk.

well, Fostex's new WK series has far less of the "Fostex Fatigue Factor", and the 125WK would be another candidate for the FH3, but we haven't actually tried them yet

if your room allows or necessitates the use of corner placement, the Mark Audio drivers might well be balanced heavy on the bass side compared to the FE126E

If your budget allows, I'd heartily recommend the Alpair 7.3 in Pensil - they put the FR88s in their place

actually, even the Alpair6.2M does that

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
So I am thinking about using the EL70 or Alpair 6.2 or 7.3 (this last one would be constrained choice because of cost) or the FF125wk.

All those drivers are good and ones i have extensive experience with.

Small room, gain clone, i'd suggest getting some EL70 while you can (and low post cost, coming from either Abbotsford or Victoria).

Except for the A6.2 all are known to work in FH3, it has been speculated that Twin A6.2 would also work (and really push your budget)

dave

Thanks planet10 and chrisb for the considerate responses. The musicality of the small driver is true; i have experienced this with the vintage tan colored "holey" basket vintage alnico but cannot take much power. So i prefer drivers that are durable; the fe126 was good considering but am looking for that musical sound and also a speaker that disappears in the sound stage. Have also been trying to read about eNabl. Can the EL70 produce this effect and what is the best cabinet for soundstage? articulate bass is important. The pensil is a bass reflex? and the Fmk3 is a horn with a bottom choke point?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Pensil is an ML-TL. FH3 is a horn, the choke at the bottom being a variant of Klipsch's rubber throat (did i get that right Scott?).

EL70 is a wonderful driver, very good in its own right, and very high bang for the buck on topof that, even better treated (to many ears -- the demo pairs (treated/untreated) mMar-Kel70 have gone out and the people auditioning haven't perceived a difference, some people hear a difference right away (and in blind tests -- don't know whether you'd call them dounle blind -- system set up in advance, switchbox, speakers hidden, test self administered with the setup person no where in sight).

It does not have the DDR of something like an Alpair7.3 (also treated) but this gives it an edge with lesser amplifiers, is more robust, and has the capability of an amazing LF extention.

The best finesse in the bass (of the boxes i have heard) are the full-size Mar-Kels, then the FH3, then the Pensil. How low they go is the inverse of that (ie more extension usually means giving up some control/finese)

Chris is currently working on WoofTs (with 2xEL166 per) for our proto wide Trapezoid Mar-Kels. The WoofTs will act as integral, cosmetically matched stands, with the Mar-Kel70wT inverted on top of them

MK70wT-fir-comp.jpg

It will be very interesting to see how they do when relieved of the heavy lifting, and with even more extension and weight in the bass. Zia is working on an integrated variation of the same theme with the same drivers.

dave

Thanks planet10 and chrisb for the considerate responses. The musicality of the small driver is true; i have experienced this with the vintage tan colored "holey" basket vintage alnico but cannot take much power. So i prefer drivers that are durable; the fe126 was good considering but am looking for that musical sound and also a speaker that disappears in the sound stage. Have also been trying to read about eNabl. Can the EL70 produce this effect and what is the best cabinet for soundstage? articulate bass is important. The pensil is a bass reflex? and the Fmk3 is a horn with a bottom choke point?

Pensil is an MLTL - aspect ratio of internal dimensions drive it toward the 1/4 wave end of the continuum .

Yes, the FH3 is a BLH type with bottom choke point - if you like, Scott or Dave could give you a more techno-geek description.

The FE126E doesn't disappear as much as do the EL70 or Alpairs (7.3 particularly) - more so than many drivers in this weight class (including the FF125WK) the FE126E lets you know it's there.

edit: Dave beat me to the punch while answering the phone - and no doubt he was multi-tasking as well

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.