UcD400 Q & A

Re: Voltage of capacitors

Jan-Peter said:
We decided today to increase the voltage of the 470uF capacitors from 63V to 100V.

It's was not easy to find a good source with low (25mm) 470uF/100V caps.........:xeye:

[/url]
Just wondering, if you exclude all 63 V caps, how high voltage does the module withstand, I mean technically?

I know what you are talking about, over 63 volts, there is a magical limit unless you can afford to order 1000's of caps.

Re: UCD400 shopping list?

mlihl said:
Hi folks,

I was browsing the Internet for a part list of items I need
to build an audiophile grade no-compromise UCD400
stereo amplifier with approx. 150-200W/8Ohms.

I live in a 230V country...

Can you comment on my list of items? Did I make any
mistakes? (I'm not an expert)

1.) Amp: 2 x UCD400 modules

2.) PSU (1 piece):

I would either go with LCAudio's (expensive) Virtual
4-pole 100.000uF supply at 315 Euro - is this overkill?

Alternatively, I would get this PSU from Schuro:
http://www.schuro.de/preisl-nte10-63tnet.htm
(supports max. 2x35V transformers, 4x10.000uF Caps...)
Which one would you take? I want to have enough
reserves, quality comes first.

3.) Transformers: First question - do I need 1 or 2
transfomers for a stereo amp?

For LCAudio I am thinking of this transformer:
2 x 40 V, 600VA (http://www.schuro.de/preisl-v-rkt-ms-sw.htm)

For the Schuro supply, I would take this type:
2 x 35 V, 600VA (http://www.schuro.de/preisl-v-rkt-ms-sw.htm)

Did I make any mistakes in this setup or would you suggest
any changes? I plan to order my UCDs this week.

Thanks for your help, guys!

Michael

Hello Michael,

That stuff from Schuro looks pretty high-end, if you ask me, it looks like a very good choice. Note that also Hypex will be able to provide you powersupllies. I guess however that the Schuro is more high-end, and more expensive of course.

Best regards

Gertjan

Re: Re: Voltage of capacitors

peranders said:

Just wondering, if you exclude all 63 V caps, how high voltage does the module withstand, I mean technically?

I know what you are talking about, over 63 volts, there is a magical limit unless you can afford to order 1000's of caps.
+/-75V as dictated by the MOSFETs (150V). When not in operation it'll take some more (see discussion with analog), but this is a safety affair, not really useful for purposes of output power.

Hi,

Jan-Peter I'm really very pleased with your decision, excellent, my hats off to you, nice work.

Brings us back to the power supply caps :D

If you want to try and get the most out of the module by running it near 63Volts worst case I wouldn't want to be using 63 volt supply caps either. 75 minimum I think would be OK, or 80.

However I think you can use one of those supplies with the 63 volt caps but choose your transformer conservatively so you still retain a margin of safety on them, it won't get you the most out out of the module, but it will all last a long time.

While I can't read the Schuro page I looked up those T cell caps they use, neat! Think it's worth it? Anyone tried them?

Also I was just thinking, going to a full bridge option in later designs might be a good idea to allow people to keep using these ready made supplies while achieving greater power levels too. Makes life easy on them, and those who would make their own supplies can use cheaper capacitors in them as they won't need such a high rating.

Thanks & Best Regards

Hi,

Thanks for that info Jan-Peter, the link wasn't working but I noticed there's just an extra comma at the end to be deleted, then it works.

So far Nichicon are the cheapest I've found that might be good quality, screw in terminals, and are dirt cheap :blush:

Do quality caps in the psu still benefit from bypassing with a small value high quality cap? I don't want to have to make a PCB..

I don't want you to get in trouble for saying anything here (it's a fine line I'm sure) will you be adding info to your site when you get the chance regarding whatever else you have to offer? Things like caps, transformers, rectifiers etc.

Can't have too many sources.

Alot of the sites offering PSU caps seem to stop at 63 volts and so far I've only found a couple places who do have anything so that really is good to know.

Thanks

classd4sure said:
Do quality caps in the psu still benefit from bypassing with a small value high quality cap?
There is nothing to gain by adding bypass caps on this location. The UcD's are fully filtered and decoupled. All HF affairs are kept local, so only low-frequency currents leave the circuit board. Likewise it is also not necessary to bend over backwards to keep the power connections ultra-short.

classd4sure said:

So far Nichicon are the cheapest I've found that might be good quality, screw in terminals, and are dirt cheap :blush:

Do quality caps in the psu still benefit from bypassing with a small value high quality cap? I don't want to have to make a PCB..

Thanks

Nichicon makes a lot of different grades. The "good stuff" for audio use in that voltage rating isn't "dirt cheap" at all...

check page 8 of this catalog:

http://www.percyaudio.com/Catalog.pdf

for the KG gold or KG Super Series caps. 10,000uF 80V go for $36.95

still ages better than Blackgates, and yes, bypassing is very much a possibility, just as paralleling many smaller values is. I'd use a 10k, a 1k, a 22uF and maybe even a 0.1 Auricap to top it off, all depending on the budget. My current SS amps are filled with Wimas on every 10,000 uF cap inside (and that's not a DIY product)

Peter

Hi,

You're right Peter they aren't exactly dirt cheap, cheaper than most but all the same, that's the same place I was looking at originally as well, the Gold series are almost half the price though. I do have a place where caps are dirt cheap, example SMH series by UCC 12,000uF 100Vdc $11.82 Canadian, how's that for a steal? I'm going to keep looking though.

Kuribo, I wouldn't :) If it's redundant it's redundant. It's good to have people sharing some info though. I would by pass the bridge rectifiers however, 1 cap per diode, and add some bleeder resistors.

Thanks

classd4sure said:
Kuribo, I wouldn't :) If it's redundant it's redundant. It's good to have people sharing some info though. I would by pass the bridge rectifiers however, 1 cap per diode, and add some bleeder resistors.
Bypassing the bridge rectifier is a MUST. On one of my first designs, emission was wholly and completely dominated by the 50Hz rectifier!
(More precisely that was during the prescan which is done using peak detection. When qpk detection was used to recheck the overs it was OK, but that's entirely owed to the leniency of quasi-peak detection).

Hi Jan-Peter,

It's been said a few times the 63 volt limit of the module was imposed by those 63V 470uF caps, since they're now being changed to 100V caps, will the overvoltage protection stay ~63V?

If it will stay at 63V would you recommend anyone try to change or ajust it? If so what would be required to make such a change, and what level should it never exceed in order to still keep it useful in protecting the module? Or would you possibly consider making that kind of help available through private email should the situation arise?

I ask because it might be nice if someone like myself were to try and hit close to 63Vdc worst possible case and it wound up being just over that, a quick adjustment or two would be cheaper than buying another transformer. We'd of course, neeever, attempt to make it a UcD500.

Plitron state a 4% load regulation for all their transformers from 500VA to 1500VA, I have to question how close they achieve that mark in reality. Anyway, it would take the pressure off of selecting the transformer to get the most out of the module.

Thanks

Originally posted by Bruno Putzeys
Bypassing the bridge rectifier is a MUST. On one of my first designs, emission was wholly and completely dominated by the 50Hz rectifier! (More precisely that was during the prescan which is done using peak detection. When qpk detection was used to recheck the overs it was OK, but that's entirely owed to the leniency of quasi-peak detection).
This is very true. Rectifier noise arises because, with no power factor correction, the ac rectifiers only conduct at the peaks of the ac input voltage. When they turn off the voltage on their line side takes a sudden, sharp step. This generates a long (to many MHz) picket fence of conducted EMI noise spikes spaced at 100Hz. Adding a pair of 10nF to 100nF capacitors across the bridge rectifier (from ac terminals to minus) stops this step and knocks down the picket fence. I've found that using caps across all four rectifiers rather than only across the two bottom ones actually worsens overall EMI, probably because the plus terminal of the rectifier bridge is generally noisier with switching frequency differential mode EMI than is the minus terminal.

Regards -- analog(spiceman)

Hi

AnalogSpiceman, may I be so bold as to request you post a quick diagram of your recommended bypass method? I'd appreciate it.

I guess soft recovery would be a beneficial feature.

There's already alot of threads on this from what I see and it's kind of off topic, though still towards the cause, but, they seem to agree the rectifiers have a some sort of sonic effect, hard to believe, is this more voodoo? Since I highly value the opinion of people here I thought I'd ask for some opinions on this.

I'm currently looking at the basics I didn't think I'd have to start looking for the golden rectifier that sounds the best as well.

Thanks