UcD400, in summary.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wanted to point out that everybody have the right to take their own pleasure in a listening experience. If it's different from yours, it does not mean it's wrong, it's just different for the purpose to satisfy very personal cravings for a "proper" sound.

I couldn't care less what it is for you, but I know what it is for me; I will continue to write about it and I don't expect to be a subject of silly critisism.

anatech said:
Moderators are members first. We just have more work to do. When you see a cop hat you know we are being official. Next time you see one of us posting, think member first. That's why I said you should know better.

I think I know better; if it was the way you say, I would have probably still be a moderator, yet my posts as a member didn't meet moderator's profile.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Ric,

I'll quote two lines from your last reply that best describe why your experience and that of the majority of other people differ.

however, this does not make it real.....does not make it truth

yes, the ramblings of a mad man

Your truth obviously isn't mine, but you're entitled to your own views on the world, I will not deprive you of that, nor would I want to. Heck, there's whole hospitals filled with people with a warped perspective on the 'truth', most of these people even are on some form of medication, that begs the question, are you? Or should you be?

There's however a line that I need to draw when you start advocating your 'truth' as being fact when it clearly is just the ramblings of a mad man. Facts can be verified and are rooted in hard factual evidence such as mathmatical equations, your 'facts' cannot. Your idea of a properly constructed amplifier looks like you've been handed a box of parts, a few strings of wire and a blindfold. You really want others to follow your example? It looks like an accident waiting to happen and that's putting it mildly.

The only argument you keep repeating is that we need to listen to hear your truth, but I'm confident that my experience will differ from yours as will that of others. Giving people helpful suggestions is one thing, your suggestions clearly show to the trained eye that you lack even the basic grasp of how these amplifiers work and hence your suggestions are simply misleading.

Best regards,

Sander Sassen
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Peter,

I wanted to point out that everybody has the right to take their own pleasure in a listening experience. If it's different from yours, it does not mean it's wrong, it's just different for a purpose to satisfy personal cravings for "proper" sound.

I'll agree with you that everyone is entitled to their own listening experience, but you know as well as I do that some people go to extremes to reach their 'audio nirvana'. Ric is a prima example of that, he's using a rather onorthox and to some extent dangerous approach which I think should be met with a dose of common sense and levelheaded thinking.

Best regards,

Sander Sassen

Yes he is, but even if only 10% of what he finds will work for me, I will be still happy. And I would be very unhappy if he stop writing about his findings. However, the response he finds here is very unfriendly, with Class D forum leading the way.

Chip amp people seem to be much more tolerant. Maybe because they are never taken seriously ;)

Checking the screws running through toroids is the first thing to try on my list.

Sander, it seems that personal invective has taken the place of reasoned argument with you. You put yourself forward as a man of science yet I have rarely read more immoderate or insulting comments on a person in a moderated forum than your recent commments on Ric. I would hope the moderators do something about it despite their own personal views on the matter. Calling someone mad or insane appears beyond the pale, no? We shall see.

Oh- why is someone stating what they have heard with their own ears so offensive? NO it is not 'proof' but so what? For example I suspect your criticism of Ric if you chose to be specific might involve the almost certainly increased levels of rf arising from his use of a non standard inductor. Who is to say it does not sound better despite this?

Robert.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Robert,

Sander, it seems that personal invective has taken the place of reasoned argument with you. You put yourself forward as a man of science yet I have rarely read more immoderate or insulting comments on a person in a moderated forum than your recent commments on Ric. I would hope the moderators do something about it despite their own personal views on the matter. Calling someone mad or insane appears beyond the pale, no? We shall see.

Guilty, if it weren't for previous discussions I've had with Ric I wouldn't have come off sounding as harsh as this. But it is getting to a point where I have to draw the line, and have to put things bluntly, all else falls short I'm afraid.

I suspect you'd be wording things similar when the guy at the gasstation suggests your fill your tank with diesel fuel rather than petrol for the 3rd time, advocating better mileage, no? This is similar, hence my wording is a bit firm. If that offends you I'm sorry, it is not directed at you.

Best regards,

Sander Sassen

Now I am getting compared to a gas station attendant recommending the completely wrong kind of gas? What an imagination!!!! Always use excessive exaggeration when you have nothing concrete to add (after you have criticized their grammar, of course. That is always number one...he he). There is nothing dangerous about my tweaks....they are not like the wrong gas in a car.....what could possibly be dangerous about damping heatsinks, removing LEDs, bypassing binding posts, damping parts, removing magnetic material from things, hardwiring for the shortest signal path, etc.....what, I ask you? Nothing is the correct answer....these things are easy to try and if you want better sound you might give it a go....nothing lost....nothing dangerous.

What is dangerous is trying to stifle peoples creativity and experience with righteousness....now that is dangerous.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Peter,
I wanted to point out that everybody have the right to take their own pleasure in a listening experience. If it's different from yours, it does not mean it's wrong, it's just different for the purpose to satisfy very personal cravings for a "proper" sound.
We agree on this. I have no argument with you, or most people for that matter. I will agree that you should have a look at the screws for your transformer.

For me, my normal viewpoint does not conflict with me being a moderator, although I do have to hold my tongue sometimes. We are not a collective and have various opinions on things. Try to keep this in mind.

As for mods to equipment. I guess I have a "button" there as I have seen lot's of good gear written off completely as the non informed attempt to reach audio nirvana. You shouldn't blindly mess with anything. The laws of physics do not play favorites and they are merciless when people do foolish things. If you look, you will see that this is when I speak up.

Ric,
What is dangerous is trying to stifle peoples creativity and experience with righteousness....now that is dangerous.
What is dangerous is pushing people do make changes to their equipment that is unsafe. Blindly doing is unsafe. A thought experiment is safe until you execute a poorly thought out procedure.

-Chris

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Ric,

nothing lost....nothing dangerous.

Allow me to make one wonderful quote that illustrates exactly why it is dangerous to implement some of your suggestions. And also why you clearly don't have a clue how things work, else you'd not be making the below quoted suggestion, or any of the others that you litter these forums with.

Remove the xover from the speaker and hardwire all connections, including to the drivers. Hardwire directly to the place on the driver where the wire comes from the voice coil...not at the other end of the L tab. Removing the x-over gives much greater clarity and so does hardwiring.....binding posts, be gone...all connectors, be gone!!!

Best regards,

Sander Sassen

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Pinkmouse?

there is nothing intrinsically unsafe about any of Ric's suggestions

I beg to differ, in the above quoted suggestion that'll damage your tweeter quickly as it is fed with a LF signal. As per his other suggestions you risk blowing up the output stage of the UcD module, with the risk of fire or exploding capacitors. Now please tell me what isn't unsafe about his suggestions?

Best regards,

Sander Sassen

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Ric said:
Remove the xover from the speaker and hardwire all connections, including to the drivers. Hardwire directly to the place on the driver where the wire comes from the voice coil...not at the other end of the L tab. Removing the x-over gives much greater clarity and so does hardwiring.....binding posts, be gone...all connectors, be gone!!![snip]

On the other hand, this is a great education! Speakers will sound horrible (unrecognizable probably), tweeters will blow, parts of dustcaps will float around the room, ha!

I can't think of a better way to make people realize that the 'net is full of charlatans and why the xover is there :D .

Jan Didden

Now I'm really sick and tired of all this bashing. What Rick is suggesting is that the crossover be displaced outside the box and NOT removed altogether. Before you insult and attack other people, make sure you have read at least twice what they actually wrote. There is nothing dangerous about this and nothing is going to blow.

There will be no more of this.

Regards,
Milan :cop:

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Milan?

make sure you have read at least twice what they actually wrote.

I really do suggest you try some of your own medicine. It is stated twice in the above mentioned quote:

Remove the xover from the speaker

Removing the x-over gives much greater clarity

So I really don't think it leaves any room for explaining it differently, do you?

Best regards,

Sander Sassen

Look, you are taking things out of their context. That is certainly not how I understood Rick.

If it was not entirely clear to you what Rick meant, you should have asked him for an explanation instead of showering him with insults. Any more insults, personal attacks and uncivilised bahavior, it's the territorial jail for you.

Regards,
Milan :cop:

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Milan,

Look, you are taking things out of their context.

I am? Again, I beg to differ. What's being discussed here is whether his proposed modifications pose a real danger to inflict damage to the equipment or the person operating it. I've done exactly that, hence I'm NOT taking things out of context.

That is certainly not how I understood Rick.

Your understanding of the matter seems to be lacking in that regard, but alas, I'll stop trying to convince you, some people just can't seem to go back and retrace their steps once they've made up their mind.

Best regards,

Sander Sassen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.