UcD400 and high level sub input

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Eleson,
I agree that this is the best method (connecting high-level input of the sub in parallel with the speakers on the output of the UcD), but have you tried it yourself with a UcD? I would love to have first-hand feedback if you have done this.

Chris, let us know how it sounds with the high-level input and what sub you are using. The worst that can happen is that the "magic" does not happen. For some reason most sub owners are happy without the magic because they have never heard the magic (the magic is when the sub sounds like it is not there, but all frequencies become smooth and effortless and airy and you can "feel" the concert hall). The test is to power-off the sub and see if the sound becomes flat and boring.

The reason I am asking is because I did not have success doing that with a first generation REL STORM sub and a Tripath TA104 amp (85V DC rails).

REL later admitted that the input circuit on the first generation STORM had to be improved on later releases, but I am also wondering if the Class-D nature of the Tripath had something to do with it - using high-level input worked very well with the output of a Yamaha amplifier (incredible bass combination) but not with the Tripath.

I think the UcD has cleaner output (less super-sonic frequencies that might confuse the high-level input of the sub) but I loved the sound of the big Tripath and I am building more since I had ordered a few at the time.

Eventually I will have to match a sub to both the Tripath (again) and the UcDs.

Guy

guyv said:
Eleson,
I agree that this is the best method (connecting high-level input of the sub in parallel with the speakers on the output of the UcD), but have you tried it yourself with a UcD? I would love to have first-hand feedback if you have done this.

Hi Guy

Why is it the best method? I would of thought using an active crossover would be best method? Especially using units such as deqx where you can tune each drivers crossover. Having said that, it would probably be worst if you don't know what your doing.

Chris

chrisb03 said:

Hi Guy

Why is it the best method? I would of thought using an active crossover would be best method? Especially using units such as deqx where you can tune each drivers crossover. Having said that, it would probably be worst if you don't know what your doing.

Chris

Reasons:
- REL recommends it
- there seems to be a special synergy, I am wondering if the signal gets altered by the characteristics of the speaker coil. I don't have a real theoritical explanation. I've always wanted to ask the REL people why.
- I was never able to get the "magic" using the line level inputs

Guy

Chris,

It will be hard finding quad pots in Australia. I did a similar search for similar reasons a couple of years back (single knob for active subwoofer xover) and found one in the UK, at Falcon Acoustics, and it cost me about $15 including post, which was OK.

However I just went to their site to see if they still have them, and it looks like they went or going into liquidation. But it may still be worth contacting them as they have some stuff for sale. email Malcolm Jones at falcon-acoustics.co.uk.

Good luck!

Regards,
Dean

Hi Guy

I'm all for synergy, but my original concern was whether the UcD output stage had issues with this sort of setup (cause damage). Also, I didn't want to deteriorate the signal to the main speakers.

If this isn't the case then I would probably setup this way if it has the best synergy. Does it matter what sort of cable is used? Same as main speakers?

Dean, thanks for the info.

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.