UCD info: Philips DFR9000

This receiver has a 'bug' in it:

When you mute the volume and select an unused FM frequency it creates a quite hard creaky (crackling) noise.
This should be possible: mute means nothing should be sent to the speakers. It also makes this irritating hard noise when the volume level is low.

Anyone else got this problem? Then I know it's not a problem of mine only.

compie said:
This receiver has a 'bug' in it:

When you mute the volume and select an unused FM frequency it creates a quite hard creaky (crackling) noise.
This should be possible: mute means nothing should be sent to the speakers. It also makes this irritating hard noise when the volume level is low.

Anyone else got this problem? Then I know it's not a problem of mine only.

Just tried for considerable time (again and again different frequencies) and I am not able to reproduce your problem.
So if it really hinders you: up to the repair shop!

:xeye:

marconist said:

Just tried for considerable time (again and again different frequencies) and I am not able to reproduce your problem.
So if it really hinders you: up to the repair shop!
:xeye:

Problem solved!
It wasn't caused by the receiver but by my TV. The TV makes a hard noise if the audio input signal is above a certain level, even if the volume level is very low or muted.
I think something in my TV is broken. No big deal for a 10+ year old TV.

Sollution: I disconnected the Audio L+R cables going to the TV (via SCART). I never need my TV to produce sound, I always use the speakers hooked up to my receiver.

marconist said:
As Philips is now leaving the HiFi scene (moving fully to Microsoft-like home entertainment systems) Meridian steps in the place the B]DFR9000 leaves open and even it includes a CD/DVD-player! Too bad it cannot play SACD's. :cool:

http://www.hypex.nl/docs/G95ds-a4.pdf

Bit more expensive, though. :D [/B]
Do you mean the MCP9350i media center? Philips still sells a lot of normal harddisk recorders.

Can this receiver remember it's surround mode? I always listen to the FM tuner in "Dolby Pro Logic IIx Music" mode, but when I turn off the receiver and turn it on again it automatically switches to Neo6 Cinema.
How can I make "Dolby Pro Logic IIx Music" mode the default mode?

Second question:
Some FM radio stations in the list have wrong names, for example "PLAYING:" instead of "SKYRADIO". When I select the radio station the correct name is displayed but when I select another station in the list the old incorrect name is displayed again.
How can I solve this? Or is this problem caused by the radio stations themselves? eg. The don't fill in the Program Service RDS field correctly, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Data_System

"PS: Program Service. This is simply an eight-character static display that represents the call letters or station identity name. Most RDS capable receivers display this information and, if the station is stored in the receiver's presets, will cache this information with the frequency and other details associated with that preset."

Hi there,

Anyone still reading this thread?
I would like to modify my DFR 9000 so I can use it a preamp/processor. I think jimi00 has a similar idea, so I'd like to see his question about the line outs answered, although I would assume that it was a downmixed signal coming from the line outs.

Could someone point me in the right direction on how where to find the line level outputs of the pre-amps in the circuits?

Thanks! :)

Breaker said:
Hi there,

Anyone still reading this thread?
I would like to modify my DFR 9000 so I can use it a preamp/processor. I think jimi00 has a similar idea, so I'd like to see his question about the line outs answered, although I would assume that it was a downmixed signal coming from the line outs.

Could someone point me in the right direction on how where to find the line level outputs of the pre-amps in the circuits?

Thanks! :)

Line out is a stereo downmix.
Line levels can of course be obtained internally but requires a steady hand (SMD), some electronics knowledge to make line-followers and the schematic.
http://www.doknet.nl/eng/index.html

Breaker, I figured by testing that all the pre outs (pre-out and rec-out) are downmixes. As for the discreet 6 or 7 channels out... I'm not 100% sure but I think you can forgrt about it because the anatomy of the dfr is all Integrated Circuits. You would have to be VERY handy with a soldering iron and I believe it would be more time and money efficient to simply buy a used AV Receiver that has discreet pre-outs on ebay.

My .10 €

jimi00 said:
Breaker, I figured by testing that all the pre outs (pre-out and rec-out) are downmixes. As for the discreet 6 or 7 channels out... I'm not 100% sure but I think you can forgrt about it because the anatomy of the dfr is all Integrated Circuits. You would have to be VERY handy with a soldering iron and I believe it would be more time and money efficient to simply buy a used AV Receiver that has discreet pre-outs on ebay.

My .10 €

It is not sooooooooo difficult, because you can derive the signal from the inputs to the UcD amplifiers. And they are very well reachable!