Uber cheap, yet amazingly good.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looks nice Jag. I've currently got mine semi dissaembled and am tweaking the looks of them, what I'm going to try is running fabric over the back (thin black speaker cloth) to make them look somewhat like normal speakers, will see if it affects the sound.

But what TB driver did you use in your OBs?

Well Jag.
That says it all.
The difference in the 594s to the 593s is large and the difference from the 879s to the 871S is just as large.
All 4 are different drivers completly 100% no doubt.And the highs and cone extention of the 594S is nothing near the 871S.
The 594S is similar to the 879S but not 100% true.
The frames are different as well as the spyders.
And the 871 - the 879 are a big difference again.
You want to try the 871S as this is the by far hands down best 3" on the market.
I have no gain in the sales of the drivers.Just to let you know.
But I was the one who got this 3" built.

Just give these a shot and then post your findings about them.
As you will have listened to the best 3" TB makes after you use the 871S.

Al

RAW said:
The difference in the 594s to the 593s is large and the difference from the 879s to the 871S is just as large.
I was not commenting on just TB, but TB in open baffle. Actually, I like TB very much. Only limitation is that is rolls off around 18kHz, and power handling...you cannot ask for everything!
jag said:
Still playing (and having fun) with the crossover - will post details once finalized.
Well, the crossover ended up being a 6.5mH (0.85ohm) ferrite coil on woofer and 80uF cap on TB. As far as sound is concerned, all I can say is that I was not confident of achieving good sound at all (with my speaker building skills), but this has exceeded all my expectations - I guess the keep it simple approach paid off.

Attachments

• cross.jpg
    cross.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 689
I can agree that the extension of the 871S is fine in the highs, compared to a tweeter system it sounds alot better than 4" FRs and larger that I've heard. One other driver I'd like to try is the FA69P805, maybe you've tried it RAW? I sent out an order for a couple (have to build a pair of speaker on the cheap for my girlfriend's parents) at $5.99 I couldn't go wrong at all, just wondering how they'll compare to the 871S that I've come to enjoy ALOT.

Joe.
As a mater of fact I just sold the drivers you are asking about a few months ago.
They for the money are very good.
Not the high end , as the 871S but they roll off around 16k and for the money they are the un sold drivers on the Nuera page.
You will be very happy with them.
They use a plactic pin frame and depending on if they get matched as they go out the door( I use to) the frames are different colours.
Purple ,black or even silver.
So if you ordered 2-4 just hope you get them with the same trim ring colour.

Al

cool

Does anyone know where I can get these drivers in the uk?

I like this design alot
1 coz it's cheap, 2 coz it's cheap, 3 it looks sooo simple and I have never done any of this diy speaker stuff before.

Do these have good bass or do you need a seperate sub?
Do you recomend trying to build thes as a 1st time build?
Help/comments please, thanks
Calum Dunkley
London

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: cool

calum said:
Does anyone know where I can get these drivers in the uk?

The W3-871 is only available in Canada (but i'm sure Bob would send them out to you)

Do these have good bass or do you need a seperate sub?
Do you recomend trying to build thes as a 1st time build?

They really can use some help in the bass. They will reach down to almost 100 Hz by themselves but with limited volume capability.

This is a decent 1st project. An even simplier variation would be the bipolar alphaTL (no one has built it yet, but it looks promising):

* 5.25" internal square prism** 21" internal height (+ legs) open at the bottom drivers mounted at the top on opposite faces stuffed evenly with 48 g of dacron/polyester wool/BAF. ** 27.5 in^2 x-section.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.