ua739 Op Amp Replacement

I have had several ua739pc (plastic case) ic's fail in crown dc300a amps,

The ceramic case option was common in the earlier dc300a amps,

There is a fair amount of heat around the top of the dc300a main board, the only thing i have had to do re the ic power supply was to replace the tired zener and resistor associated with the ic supply....

I have no idea about the marantz problems, so i just cant comment. the dc300a runs 10volts into the ic , so i dont think its a huge voltage by any means.

The ceramic option seemed the way to go, i have 25+ year old dc300a's still running virtually untouched.

Some of the earlier r's and c's were bullit proof....

shame we cant say the same for some of the newer gear!

hi chris,

17volt sounds a little high, the ic in the crown's seems to go quite frequently, and some of the pre driver transistors are a little iffy!

i think a lot of the problems were down to component availability at the time, there appears to be no logic in transistor choice.

it amazes and amuses me the parts people use as "equivalents" at times, the range of available components seems to lessen every year .......

cheers chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi krmaudio,
17volt sounds a little high, the ic in the crown's seems to go quite frequently
I've always thought that. All in the name of headroom.

i think a lot of the problems were down to component availability at the time, there appears to be no logic in transistor choice.
There is if you look at a catalog of that time period. I think they did amazing things back then with what was available to them.

it amazes and amuses me the parts people use as "equivalents" at times, the range of available components seems to lessen every year .......
Well, yes. Me too. Then again, you have to clean up after these amusing folk. So much needless destruction. Getting good parts for old gear is getting more difficult year by year.

-Chris

UA739/749

The replacement part in metal can from NTE, 949 www.nteinc.com

See the att.

Best regards, R Amandi

Attachments

• ua739,749.jpg
    ua739,749.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 571