Type of battery for chip amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
some small lipo batteries are capable of continuous currants of 300amps
you are correct the amp rating means nothing, in discharge rate its called "C" rating most good lipos are rated at 20-30 C witch means if its a 8000mAh lipo it can dish out 240Amps 30 C X 800mAh = 240A constant until it goes flat with out damaging the cells

my motor in my rc car is a 1150w motor and it draws a massive amount of currant burst beware of lithium batteries if mistreated they can blow up

nimh is better than nicad and lipo but lipo is the next technology leap of the future lipo will be better

It's not always best to use high current (battery) cells, particularly if your use is frequent. Lead-acid cannot stand the deep discharges and # of recharge cycles for regular use. NiMH aren't THAT bad actually, if you had large enough cells to power the amp for a reasonable period of time they should be sufficient to handle peaks without much strain, especially if you aren't trying to build one of those minimal-capacitance amps.

On the other hand, any battery cappable of the RMS current could be buffered pretty well with a lot of capacitance. With an AC powered design this approach is usually poor relative to a stronger (current source) supply but when considering mobility, there is more to it than only current. I'm suggesting mobility is the reason to use batteries, not to try to gain over a mains powered supply.

The application may be a gainclone but it is as much a factor of the other parameters too, including cost (TCO), size, safety, etc.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.