Two IDENTICAL units, different sound!?!?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
To compare 2 players that are complete alike you also have to be sure that everything else is completely alike.
Ie. if the one is placed on top of the other, the lower one tends to be the best, so for best result they have to placed on the same type of surface.
They also have to be turned on at the same time as well as their powercords is to be positioned in the outlet in the same way.
Some nerds even claim that the sound will change if ie. the poweramp is in the first outlet, the DAC in the next etc. and vise versa.
I hope you might be able to eliminate some of the differences by paying atention to some of these nerdy things :cool:

Yes, good idea to swap the PSUs... that I might do.

With not much free time to try stuff, I'll vote right now for the digital file comparision idea... if I can figure out a quick way to make that happen, that would be very good to see a difference file...

I suppose the control is to compare two passes made with the same deck(s), then compare the two.

So far the positioning and the power cords, RCA jacks, and laser lens do not appear to be factors.

Well, onwards!

_-_-bear

PS. makes one wonder about the true value of "reviews" or bench tests... if two examples of identical product can sound so different!!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Bear,
Look at the two RF patterns. Your answers are very likely going to be signal quality.

BTW, richie00boy is correct. Digital errors occur long before the unit will skip. Skipping is a loss of tracking, way beyond serious. In actual fact, the DSP chip is making sense out of an imperfect data stream. If you were to feed each DSP chip the same EFM pattern (by that time), or RF pattern if it does the servo functions, you would probably get the exact same output. However, with different transports you will have different error rates.

Remember, the eye pattern lets you see exactly how the transport is doing. If we still had access to the C1 and C2 hardware error flags, they would give you the block error rate (BLER) and the number of uncorrectable blocks (C2). The data output will be patched to be valid data, even if the information contained is not valid. Software error flags are useless for determining how good the actual read is.

The RF test point is the single most important point to monitor.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.