• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Twisted Pear Audio - Buffalo32S (ES9018 DAC)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A little while ago I posted that I thought I had an impedance mismatch between my B32 and a gainclone amp - the sound was dull and lifeless.

So I used a buffer and everything was fine - however since Brian and Russ said that the B32 should not have a problem I took the buffer out - lo and behold everything was working as it should.

No impedance mismatch - it could have been a loose connection - who knows:confused:

Dear Russ,

that is indeed excellent news! Thank you for testing - appreciated. When we get our dual mono BII, I will surely try it!

I have some DXD files and will buy more from FIM :)

Did you actually play some 32/352.8 (or 24/352.k)?

Regards,

Hey guys. I can confirm that the Buffalo32S and the Buffalo II both support over 400khz input PCM. :) All of this with OSF still working normally.

So any of you who want to play DXD PCM files certainly can.

I still have some testing to do, but I just wanted to get the word out.

Cheers!
Russ

I did not do the tests myself yet (someone else with a Buf32S did) but I will soon.

I knew the DAC would accept the sample rate, what I was waiting to confirm was that the FIR filter would still work as designed. The datasheet was not clear to me in this respect.

ESS has confirmed to me that the OSF/FIR will operate correctly. :)

Soon I will try it for myself.

Cheers!
Russ

Where to buy and DL 32bit DXD files

Dear Russ,

the ESS DAC is getting better and better. :)
Amazing design!

When you do listen to some DXD music, please try both 24 and 32bit
files.

I only have 24 bit ones myself, but if someone could point me out
where I can buy and download 32bit DXD files,
please let me know where. Thanks!

Regards,

I did not do the tests myself yet (someone else with a Buf32S did) but I will soon.

I knew the DAC would accept the sample rate, what I was waiting to confirm was that the FIR filter would still work as designed. The datasheet was not clear to me in this respect.

ESS has confirmed to me that the OSF/FIR will operate correctly. :)

Soon I will try it for myself.

Cheers!
Russ

Joined 2009
Paid Member
How is the Buffalo physically fed these DXD files? Any way of streaming these files or is a computer with a high-end sound card required?
I would like my DAC in the living room - and I prefer not to have a computer there.....

In fact I would be overly happy if I could just decode the DSD/PCM over HDMI that my new Oppo BDP-80 outputs and feed it to my Buffalo. Is there really no way of doing this?

Nic

Dear Nic,

do have a look at the SDTrans192 SD memory card player made by the Japanese guys Chiaki and Bunpei. They have played DXD files with it.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/142562-microsd-memory-card-transport-project.html

Regards,

How is the Buffalo physically fed these DXD files? Any way of streaming these files or is a computer with a high-end sound card required?
I would like my DAC in the living room - and I prefer not to have a computer there.....

In fact I would be overly happy if I could just decode the DSD/PCM over HDMI that my new Oppo BDP-80 outputs and feed it to my Buffalo. Is there really no way of doing this?

Nic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.