Tweeter Suggestions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I'm looking for tweeter suggestions for a 3 way floorstanding set. I plan to use 2 Silver Flute W20RC38-04 ohm 8" Wool Cone drivers and the Dayton audio RS52AN-8 2" Dome Midrange. Any advice or helpful hints to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated! I'd like to keep things under 50 dollars a tweeter but can splurge a bit if need be.

Hi,

You could do a lot worse than basing your design on :

Zaph|Audio - ZDT3.5

Why two 4 ohm bass drivers ? Two 8 ohm is usual.

rgds, sreten.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I'm still new at trying to understand the dynamics of speakers. Thanks for the link, is there anyway I could substitute the Dayton's for the silver flutes? I'm on a limited budget and looking to get the most out of a DIY system and learn about it on the way. The only speaker I'm set on are the Dayton midranges.

Hi,

You could do a lot worse than basing your design on :

Zaph|Audio - ZDT3.5

Why two 4 ohm bass drivers ? Two 8 ohm is usual.

rgds, sreten.

Sreten, thanks for taking the time to respond. I'm still quite new to the idea of DIY speaker building, and my knowledge is still limited. Thanks for providing a link to that wonderful site, is there anyway I could substitute the Dayton for the silver flute and still use the same mid and tweeter? I thought I would wire the 2 silver flute woofers in series to a 8ohm load to match with the mid? The only speaker I'm set on is the Dayton 2in mid that I've purchased. I liked the sensitivity power handling and build quality of the silver flutes and thought they would complement the mids I've already purchased.

IMO the rs52 is blech! Just don't care for it the few times I have heard it. I would rather use a full range type driver with a lower xover point.

For the tweeter, you do have a lot of options. Maybe the tb28-537sh or vifa ring radiators. There is the air orne amt's that are very nice too. The Dayton rs28a or f is quite nice too and in a waveguide you could probably cross it to the woofs as a 2way. I've seen it pushed to 1400 with out an issue.

I found a lot bigger differences between the levels of tweeters than I expected. The $20 tweeters were just plain bad. The XT-25 at $35 was not much better. The $50 SB tweeters were a lot better, and the $50 Seas 27TBFC/G were even smoother, with the HDS being all it should be. Really, I would not spend the time designing a system without going to the SB-Seas-HDS level any more. I have no idea if the over $100 tweeters are better still. Somday..... I am sure there are some horrible $200 tweeters and maybe a better $35 tweeter. I just have not found them. I'd go Seas or SB if you don't want t fork out for an HDS or ScanSpeak.

That is supposed to be a good mid, so the best of luck.

Never put out the bucks for ribbons as I never heard one in a store I liked. They all seemed edgy to me, which I equate to harmonic distortion. My wife, who has the ultimate hearing sensitivity, would leave the room when a ribbon was turned on. Besides knowing better than to question the wife, I trust her hearing absolutely. The last ones I heard were the Apogee. Never heard the B&G either. Maggies would be as close I guess. So far, although the theory for a ribbon, ES, or planer may sound great, the money to develop and produce has gone to the one inch dome. It may not be the best theory, but is currently the best production. I wish there were places I could hear them, as I could be totally wrong.

If using a mid that can get to 4K, I would love to try OM-1's . They don't look great on paper, but seem to have a very devoted following. Not cheap.

Zaphs design with the silver flutes? is the dayton tweeter
still usable with 93db sensitivities on the woofer and mid?

Hi,

No. Zaphs design completely as is, is by far your best bet
IMHO. The tweeter is as good as anything else moreorless
as used in the design, and the bass units are very good.

Messing around with it is only likely to make it worse.

Top class design or mess around ? Its a no-brainer, see :
https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/diy-faqs-provendesigns

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
Can I vote for Visatons' G20SC? Crossed over at just over 3k as they are in my mains, they sound every bit as smooth as the published data suggests. The only downside is a high fs, and the polar 'bloom' most domes suffer at the lower end of their spectrum. I really must try the 20mm dome in a WG. Reportedly their G25FFL (?) is also good. The G20SC are around 30GBP. The fountek ribbons have found their way to my old audax mids and they sound sweet (padded a touch far) and but they are limited vertically, and that bugs some folks more than others.

Hi,

The point of using the mid-dome in Zaphs design is that
the ideal tweeter is not an ideal tweeter for a two way,
and due to the mid-dome you can get better top-end,
none of the tweeter suggestions are really any better.

At a real hike in cost a ribbon would suit the RS52 for
the topend, but its not cost effective, so not sensible.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.