Tweeter / full range question

i have lowther DX4 speakers driven by 2 x 300b mono PSE amps, and sbacoustics sb34 subwoofers (sealed in same cabinet), driven by 2 x icepower 300 AS1, both through active low and high pass filters crossed at 140Hz.

They sound pretty good but i plan to add a pair of tweeters and i am looking for recommendations and advice.

I was considering these from Fountek NeoCD3.5H

I initially plan to use a basic passive high pass filter on the tweeter, (2.2mf cap + 0.15mH coil), to pass at around 10khz, i dont think this will be ideal because the Lowthers have quite a steep rise from 1.5k all the way to around 10k so this will remain, in the future i plan to modify the active filter to include a band pass for the Lowthers, with the low pass fixed at around 2k, and the high pass on the tweeter also set at 2k, (the Founteks are virtually flat all the way from 1.5k to 30k), in theory this would flatten everything nicely (i'm hoping).

The sensitivity of both drivers seem to match quite well at 96dB, so im hoping that using the passive high pass filter initially will be OK until i can get round to modifying the active filter (which has gain adjustment if necessary).

Your thoughts and advice would be welcome

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_7400[1].JPG
    IMG_7400[1].JPG
    773.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_7401[1].JPG
    IMG_7401[1].JPG
    662.3 KB · Views: 32
If you‘re just starting out with multi way, keep it simple and learn through voicing as you go. The Fountek is an amazing tweeter when used properly. It does make for a great super tweeter.

Yes….you will need to knock down that huge response bump from the Lowther…….that’s gotta be pretty irritating to listen to.

This will do the trick

https://www.parts-express.com/Jantzen-1949-0.13mH-18-AWG-Air-Core-Inductor-255-204?quantity=1

Now you can high pass the Fountek effectively with a 2nd order filter target around 10k. 1.6uf cap and 1.5mh coil on the Fountek would be a good starting point. You’ll need to add a resistor to the the Lowther to drop and match the sensitivity down to that of the Fountek though.

The Fountek won’t do a 2k crossover point…..waaaaaay too much harmonic distortion…..I wouldn’t use it below 3kHz 3rd order……EVER.

would appreciate some advice on how to deal with this hump around 10k.
i’m thinking another way would be to set the lowther bandpass (low pass) at around 5k, this would knock the top off the spike, and set the tweeter high pass to 4 or 5k
Anyway any advice welcome.