Turntable speed stabilty

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Interesting. On the polar for the MK3 there's a speed variation at 45 and 315 deg that corresponds with a noise I can barely hear at the motor - I suspect a bearing issue. I've four other MK3 I can measure so we can increase the sample pool there. Still, the R looks remarkably good.

Thanks Volken. Always wanted to see measurements of Classic Vintage Turntable. How to interpret the graphs ? I presume the test track was 3K and narrower the band the more stable the speed. Right ? Original Thorens had wow and flutter measurements was 0.05%. It would be wonderfull to see Garrrads and Lencos measurements.
Regards.

Yes A 3khz testrecord with FM sidebands first tonearm/cart freq. second motor rotational speed , then belt flutter and the cursor at 100hz motor vibration.The sharp peak is a indication for speed stability very low wow fig.

Attachments

• sp10mk3-2-wf-sa7.png
    sp10mk3-2-wf-sa7.png
    226.5 KB · Views: 298
Thanks Ray.

I guess heavy platter with some constant load heavier than other tonearm+cartridge criteria which affects speed stability (like spool tapes having felt disc ) can somewhat stabilize the speed. Isn't it ?
An example...
Adatgrv3a.JPG

Regards

YES, it work!
There is a simple, but ingenious solution without any friction - this is an Eddie current-based brake based on a magnetic field. This is done in Sony TTS-2250/TTS-4000 direct drive turntables, permanent magnets are installed under the outer diameter of the aluminum platter. I do not know what the Sony's task was paramount, just to slow down (TTS-2250 does not have an electronic brake) or to increase the torque of the motor or all together. I tried to remove the magnetic brake, adjusted the rotation speed and the plate began to react more to the friction force, i.e. motor lost some torque.

There is some fotos of it
EngineerNate's Sony TTS-4000 Build | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

And video
YouTube

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.