turntable motors...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Have a look at: www.thingap.com

The ThinGap® Advantage
-High Power Density
-High Efficiency
-No Hysteresis Torque
-No Cogging Torque
-No Radial Deflection
-Smooth Quiet Operation
-Low Inductance Coil
-No Magnetic Saturation
-Precise Back EMF Waveform
-Enhanced Heat Dissipation
-Manufacturing Precision

One of their patents is here.

It might be the motor used by Continuum Audio Labs

Regards
James

DaveM, after having thinking about it, a high RPM motor should provide a really stable speed.

The only thing I worry about is the fact that if something wrong happens, it's unstoppable.

As for vibrations, all depends of what you use for speed reduction and things like belt drive, etc. A flywheel should keep everything stable and smooth.

If you want to work with it, really just make sure that everything is able to resist to it.

As for old HDD motors, would you put something that noisy in your hi-fi?

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
DragonMaster said:

As for old HDD motors, would you put something that noisy in your hi-fi?

Noise as in sound or EM? I would think that both are minimal since the old HDs were based on older electronics and needed more stability/clean EM up frint. That's just a guess, of course, since I'm no HD expert.

I'll rip one apart somethome soon and see what I find.

Any details for your DIY Armeggedon PS with the motor?

I found that it lowered the noise floor, increased low level resolution, was more involving, and for the most part eliminated a bit of uneasyness to the sound. I had been using the motor with a variac to reduce the voltage down to around 85-90VAC to keep vibration down, and found that, although it had excellent speed stability (as an AC synchoneous motor), it did not have the same resolution and noise floor as the Teres DC motor. The DIY Armegeddon seems to be equal to Teres DC motor.

Now, the reason I am not using the Teres motor is due, simply, to the tweakiness of the low torque DC motor with its regulator speed sensor. I found that it was too easy for the motor to lose speed momentarily. After spending countless hours of adjusting belt tension and sensor height, cleaning/polishing/re-lubing bearings, etc., just to keep the motor consistently at speed, I felt that this got in the way of musical enjoyment, even though, when operating properly, it is sonically excellent. The higher torque AC motor was, at first, a comprimise of solid motor speed stability with a certain loss of sound quality (compared with the DC motor). Now is a different matter.

I intend to later subsitute a decent fixed voltage regulated DC supply for the Teres controller, just to see how this impacts the speed stability of the motor.

Now the DIY Armegeddon is a 700VA 45-0-45 toroidal transformer I picked up on eBay for $50. I am using a LC noise filter at the primary (A 60mH choke in each leg of the primary with a 0.47uF cap across the primary). The transformer secondaries are connected in a balanced configuration (with the centertap grounded).

David

My motor has feedback speed controlled at 33 RPM with high torque and low rumble of Technics SP series turntable. It can pull my VPI TNT Jr. platter from dead stop. I don't have to put alot of tension on the bell with 12 inch pulley. This put much smaller side load on the turntable spindle.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 567
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.