Tuner Capacitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Slate,

You have to cut a hole in the back of the Tuner where the cord is to accommodate the IEC recepticle. (use a nibbler, Radio Shack is one place to get them).

You will also drill 2 holes for 2 nuts and bolts to secure the recepticle to the panel. Use a short green wire and crimp on a "wire to washer" type terminal, use a lockwasher to make contact with the panel (the star type) and run it on the nut and bolt. If it turns out to cause a hum, you can easily undo it and try a connection elsewhere or none at all! I usually replace the wire from the transformer/switch/PCB to the IEC Inlet too (to where ever the lamp power cord is terminated) with quality (99.99% pure or better) stranded insulated (heavier than original) wire.

Here is a site with an article about how. Page down to Power Cord Upgrade: http://www.soundstage.com/maxdb/maxdb200006.htm

Nibbler: http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...032058.2032236.2032314&pg=2&parentPage=family

In my amp I use this Power Cable: http://www.signalcable.com/power_cables.html

Look at these for what you need to copy or if the price is right, order one!

While you are working on the back panel, maybe you did this already, but lose the 300 ohm antenna connection and components and install a 75 ohm RG6 nipple to wire jack and run quality wire to the PCB (silver would be a good idea). You can gain up to 2 db with this simple mod. Big for Dx stations and sound quality.

Good luck!

PS, did you do the IC filters yet?

Regards//Keith

Keith, man that is some great info, the filters have not been done
yet, because I am still using the rabbit ear antenna for now. I have to look for the filters I remember ordering them along with
new electrolytic capacitors to do all the caps, have not got around
to doing it all ,but I will soon. I would like to replace all the caps, except the blackgates that have already been done, also the RG6
nipple, in which I already have the parts, the rca's have to be done WBT type, and the IEC cord. Keith those blackgates in the power supply and audio path sure take along time to burn in but when they do....... they are beautiful sounding. Keith do you think
there is something else other than the nibbler to cut those IEC
holes? the reason I am asking is beacuse I have to do it to an amplifier in which is alot heavier guage than 18 gauge.

Hi Slate,

There is a thread called "Tripath Input Coupling Caps" by DaveT. It has a schematic for a circuit (I built one) that can burn in caps before installing, so you can hear their full impact immediately (or close to it). It is ridiculously easy to make and costs between $5 to 10 to make.

Nibblers are better than drilling and dremels because they don't throw filings all over the place and that increase the chance for a short somewhere especially on the PCB. Vacuuming the chassis might cause a static discharge that can damage delicate components so be careful.

Search on the Internet for heavy gauge nibblers, maybe capable of cutting from 1/8 to maybe a 1/4 inch. Obviously aluminum is easier to nibble and hopefully that is what the amp has. The Radio Shack nibblers did a fine job on my cousin's Rotel amp and I didn't think it was going to do it!

Worst case, you can disassemble the back panel (hopefully it is bolted to the bottom), take it off and drill/dremel. Cutting with a jig saw or band saw is hard for small openings.

If you have to, drill from the outside to inside of the chassis and also use vacuum with a focus tool catching almost everything from the drill. Then file with a very small file any straggling metal. File pushing the file from inside to outside pushing the metal filings out of the chassis. Just try to be as neat as possible.

I believe an ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure.

BTW, also use highly pure annealed silver wire from the PCB to the RCA jacks (and antenna jack too) with insulation only on the signal wire (don't twist) and cotton is a nice choice for the insulator.

Good luck!

Regards//Keith

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.