• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tubes in a Home Theater?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Samsung has a new Bluray player with tubes! I could hardly believe my eyes when I did a double take (rubbing my eyes again and again and slapping my face to be sure it wasn't a dream)
Saw it last night at Best Buy. Looks like a packaged deal for the HTIB crowd
How cool is that!

That's hours, not milliseconds. The beauty of a highly dynamic range recording is the peaks (110+db) are milliseconds while the average can be under 80dB. Real sounds are dynamic, its why the music industry has failed for 20 years while home theater has thrived. Not Mp3, or pirating, or other excuse, poor mastering. Luckily movie industry has in general been smarter. Even a lot of concert videos are better than their CD counterparts.

Right but ear protection for shooting range is common precaution. So in case movie recorded true uncompressed sound and your home cinema gear is able to handle 130db shots buzz that should be considered. And footage at the beginning of TOP GUN would deliver 150-160dB for several seconds that gonna impact unprotected human hearing for sure (that is why service personnel in the footage is wearing protective cans). And some movies show sonic booms or grenade explosions from several meters distance that kind of sonic energy burst if not compressed would make person deaf instantaneously (Saving Private Ryan for example).

BTW SACD that is pretty common media among audiophiles for decade already can handle 120dB

But I cannot see how action movies can survive without compression both from technical and safety points of view.

Samsung has a new Bluray player with tubes! I could hardly believe my eyes when I did a double take (rubbing my eyes again and again and slapping my face to be sure it wasn't a dream)
Saw it last night at Best Buy. Looks like a packaged deal for the HTIB crowd
How cool is that!

I heard somewhere that they did not do anything but looks...however, even the fact that they are in there may increase production of tubes again.

I dont need real life SPL in my entertainment system...if we did we would all be deaf and the foundations of our houses cracked from the pressure created from a subwoofer....

Samsungs website describes their 7.1 system uses a pair of 12AU7s in the pre-amp section..........12AU7s?
Don'tcha just love it when the great war scene climax has the terrific explosions.....You see the explosions in the distance & immediately hear the Boom, booms.........No accounting for the speed of sound.......hilarious!

______________________________________________________Rick.......

you know what, i never thought of that before...that is a very good point, thunder is instant, and everything...but I wonder how the sound engineers would tackle something like that?

That said, taking the distance into account could really be something that would draw you into the film more....

I have used a tube amplifier for home theater purposes and prefer the sound of a Dynaco ST70 (35 Watts) over a haffler XL280 (145 Watts). It was the bass end that seemed more striking with the tube amp.

I wonder sometimes if good movie sound is more demanding as far as quality than some types of music.

I also know of a drive in theater where they still use Altec 1570 amplifiers to drive the speakers. The owner tried solid state at one point and just did not like the sound.

Only movie I heard with tubes end to end was Star Wars and THAT movie with a tube amp has a stunning sound even in plain old stereo L-R.

I also tried a few scenes after the movie was done pumping the sound through a pair of headphones. It sounded very different with stock Grado SR80 and I didn't like it as much as it seemed a little thin to me (but the amp/speakers/room was nice).

In the end it still amounts to the simple equation of a very good amp with very good speakers in a nicely laid out room will probably do the trick 90% of the time.

Movie sound isnt supposed to be real just like the images arent. Its suppossed to support/enhance the STORY. How would you hear the music over the fighter jets, and we would all need to lip read. Watch a scene, than watch it again paying attention to the sound, then watch it again with just the sound (close your eyes). Than tell me they are going for reality (how did the string quartet end up under water?) And yes there is a lot more dynamics in a good movie mix than any music ive heard lately. egs. Saving private ryan, anything Randy Thom has mixed like The Incredibles, the first Transformers movie Star wars episode 1, for a few.

I'm still watching a 33" CRT in the den. I find the first thing I do any more is turn on the tube amp before I even go for the remote. Prior to using a tube amp for tv sound I was using a Philips FR-951 in stereo mode.

For some reason I can listen to the TV playing through the tube amp without needing my hearing aids. With the SS amp I had to wear the hearing aids just to keep up with dialog.

alright, thanks guys, you put my heart at ease about the tube discussion and using them in a theater like environment.

Now all I will worry about i the type of speakers I decide to go with for my speaker build.

I was looking at both OB designs and econowave designs since they both try to minimize the effects of the room on the sound.

However, many of the OB designs need alot more power than the econowaves do. Then again, I could alway get higher efficiency by using some pro drivers in a OB design....just have to wait and see.

Build some 4PI speakers!!! Run these with SS powered subwoofers.

I have the 4PI speakers with the JBL 2226H and the B&C DE250 and these are excellent! These are perfect with some tubes driving them. These are made to be ran with Subs for the low end and smoothing of room modes.

I'm in the works with a DIY subwoofer that will be a knock off of a JBL 4645C THX sub. This has the JBL 2242H 18" woofer.

Last edited:
Mantha3,

That is actually one of the things I was looking at doing. Some sort of Econowave/Unity build or possibly some sort of OB design where I have tubes driving the midrange and a SS doing the low end.

I have a question though and this may be the wrong area to as this as I just dont want to start another thread.

Does anyone know how to set up a tube circuit where you can adjust the bias to the individual tubes similar to how Decware does it in the Zen Monoblocks? I like this approach so that I can always have "matched" tubes.

Last edited:
Evenharmonics,

Thank you for that link, I think I have just about read his entire website now as I find tube amplifiers to be very fascinating.

I found that he speaks about adjusting the Bias but I did not see anything about adjusting the bias of individual tubes.

What I mean is explained very well here:

The Decware Audiophile Tube Amplifier / Model ZEN TORII MONO'S

under the "Superior Biasing" section.

The tubelab sounds like you can adjust the overall bias of the circuit to the amplifier to modify the total wattage output but the decware seems to have the ability to adjust the bias of individual tubes to ensure a proper match.

That is if I am understanding it correctly.

Sorry but I am going to sound like a teenager:

AWSOME!

I must have been reading the wrong page as I was looking through the website again....and finding more pages of his site that I never saw before....and saw that it was adjustable.

I may have to snag a few TSE and Powerdrive boards soon.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.