• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

TubeLab website

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Arne,

I'm sure you mean well, but it comes across a little harsh. Perhaps if you were to offer help ...

Read this forum for George's comments on his own website. It is not his primary business, and those who frequent this forum benefit from his hobby and the time he puts in here despite a hectic and busy life.

re Sales ... George honours orders promptly, and offers what is essentially free support. The world needs more Tubelabs - it's a big vote of thanks from me.

Alan

Joined 2011
Paid Member
While I do think Arne is being slightly blatant with his wording, I must say that I basically agree with him.

I was referred to the Tubelab website by other respected forum members because I am considering building my first amp. I left George's site far more confused than when I started. In fact, it dissuaded me from the whole idea of building an amp. :(

Joined 2011
Paid Member
That's a great idea. If this does come to fruition, I would like to encourage those who provide the help to try to keep in mind that first time builders (likely a huge portion of George's market) would benefit greatly from a "basics" approach.

As an example, do not start talking about input/output transformers with the assumption that the potential customer knows what these things are, or where to source one, or which ones are suitable.

This goes for all of the components. An "Introductory Tube Amp Anatomy" page would be an excellent place to start. Then maybe move on to discussions of the differences between SET and PP, etc. including layman's terms descriptions of how each type of amp "works" and how/why they sound different or are better suited to different loads, etc. Also a section on input/output impedance and amp-speaker impedance matching and why it is important, etc.

The reason I say all this is because I have been around this forum long enough to know that this is all basic, fundamental knowledge that anyone should rightly know before choosing an amp kit and then beginning the project of building one. However, I actually do not have any of this knowledge because I have not been able to find it anywhere.

Most websites, including this one, are filled with people who already know all of this and speak to others as if it is general knowledge. It isn't. There are many noobs who have no idea (like me) what the hell any of the components do, or what type of amp kit to buy, or even what questions to ask, etc... Rather than annoy forum members with such basic questions, I suspect many of us simply dismiss the idea of building an amp simply because it seems "impossible". George's site currently reinforces this idea. That's what it did to me, at least.

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I have no problem with the products/pcb/constructions myself, - I LOVE them! (and want to see more!)
-but trying to hook others/newbies...is hard / impossible...

I have a "colored belt" in google, and spare time, but the amount of analphagooglebets around still amazes me.

Arne K

Last edited:
I might know how to make tube amps in my sleep, but this website stuff passed me by several years ago. Any of my attempts to fix it only made it worse, so......Russ made it pretty again.

Once I figure out how to work with it without breaking anything, I'll have lots of new stuff to add.

Anything still broken???? post it here.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.