• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Tubelab Simple P-P

+1 Chrisb, well said!

Amps are easier on space vs speakers... and don't they just look great with the glowing tubes? :) It's like science and art at play at the same time!

Don't we all have amps in the closet?:D

jeff

if you can get to them without tripping over several pairs of speakers and interconnects

it's like a game of free-cell to get at the back of the storage pile - took me about 2 hours to tidy up my cave over the week end to the point I could sit down and listen to anything

and it's certainly not in my best interest to bring up the subject, but few of us have as many amps as "she" does pairs of shoes

Well I like to have a few amps, just to compare the latest one with, otherwise I have no idea if I'm going forwards or backwards. We have a saying in this house "we can never have too many amps".

Chris, interesting your comment on trying more expensive OPT's at some stage. I didn't get past stage one with Electraprint unfortunately, must have said something wrong, ended up buying some Hashimoto's from ebay. I liked them and bought another set for another amp, model HWC-30-8. There is 3-D info and hi-end detail. I would like to compare them with Edcors and Dynaco Z565 from Triode to see what is best value for money, but can't see it happening.

Another reason for having several amps is if you just want to listen to the radio all day, use a medium-fi favorite amp for that, and save the detail amps for when you really want to listen to some tracks.

Well I like to have a few amps, just to compare the latest one with, otherwise I have no idea if I'm going forwards or backwards. We have a saying in this house "we can never have too many amps".

Chris, interesting your comment on trying more expensive OPT's at some stage. I didn't get past stage one with Electraprint unfortunately, must have said something wrong, ended up buying some Hashimoto's from ebay. I liked them and bought another set for another amp, model HWC-30-8. There is 3-D info and hi-end detail. I would like to compare them with Edcors and Dynaco Z565 from Triode to see what is best value for money, but can't see it happening.

Another reason for having several amps is if you just want to listen to the radio all day, use a medium-fi favorite amp for that, and save the detail amps for when you really want to listen to some tracks.

For OPTs, I've yet to try P/P yet from Bud Purvine O-Netics ( I've had several of his with SE iron) - something I'll likely do before getting silly spendy on James, Silk, Electraprint, Magnequest, etc.

And of course I imagine shipping costs on iron to Oz can get outright silly itself.

As to the selective use of lower resolution amps, there's certainly something to be said for not [/]b hearing all the compression, processing and other artifacts of internet streamed or even terrestrial broadcast FM. My favorite radio station is an NPR affiliate (KPLU) and the difference between Saturday morning network feed and the weekend evenings locally produced All Blues, then after midnight Jazz After Hours programing is literally night and day. Some of their older catalog is not on CD, and on a good system you don't need to wait for them to announce afterwards, "BTW, that was from our vinyl collection" - you hear it 3 or 4 seconds in .

My favorite radio station is an NPR affiliate (KPLU) and the difference between Saturday morning network feed and the weekend evenings locally produced All Blues, then after midnight Jazz After Hours programing is literally night and day. Some of their older catalog is not on CD, and on a good system you don't need to wait for them to announce afterwards, "BTW, that was from our vinyl collection" - you hear it 3 or 4 seconds in .

And here I am thinking it's the scotch improving my hearing late at night :D

Things seem pretty quiet around here.
I know there was talk of a parts kit for the SPP at one time.
Does any reader here know:
Are the kits now/were kits ever available?
And, the tubelab site doesn't mention the SPP board on the 'Ordering' page. Is the price the same- ie $35 and $15 Shipping to Canada?
I dropped an email to George, but I understand he's pretty busy so it may be a while before he can get back to me. I don't want to start ordering/collecting parts until I know the status of the boards, and possibly kits.
So if anybody out there has recent info, I'd appreciate it. Last time I contacted George was 2008.....

Thanks!
John

Yes the kits were available and I believe George still has some. PCB price and shipping is the same as the other boards. I'm pretty sure he would still have some PCB's. Of course, I can't speak for George, and I don't have any recent info, but from what I know of George he is more like a rock than a flash in the pan...for want of better wording. Fantastic, another one in the works, great little amp. Inspired me to connect mine up again, it just makes me smile as the B+ slowly rises and the music comes forth.

I just got my Simple P-P board about two weeks ago and am starting to collect parts for it now.
If George doesn't have kits avalable, he has a parts list here Parts Lists. That parts list should cover everything that would have been in the kit anyway. I've heard Mouser and DigiKey are both international friendly and shouldn't be a problem ordering from. I would just take the time to make sure none of the parts are obsolete and would need a substitute.

Thanks for that link.

Having the exact part#s is a big help when ordering. If the pitch (lead separation) of a part is wrong for the PCB, it can be a PITA.

I've probably got most everything here already, but a friend without a parts box is thinking about doing a SPP build as well.
(once we get the boards/kits? ordered.....)

All three suppliers listed (Mouser,Digikey, AES) have shipped to me in Canada with no problems. Mouser and Digikey have FAST flat rate shipping to Canada with NO nonsense about 'brokerage fees'.

Thanks, Ian.
Shipping costs can certainly add to the project cost; that's my rationale for 'buying a few extra' when I order.
Also, things like the connectors (assuming you are using them) aren't available everywhere, so buying a parts kit could eliminate the need for an order to Digikey.
It would be a help if some suggested 'off-PCB' parts were listed (with product#s) as well, since many builders will be adding volume control, input and output jacks/binding posts, AC input, etc etc....not a problem for me, but an added difficulty for first-time builders who probably constitute a big fraction of Tubelab's 'target audience'.