• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Tubelab Se Bias current jumping

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Vintage WE I wouldn't be comfortable going over 25 watts or so, but I've run JJ, EH, and Psvane all at near 40 watts (100mA @ 400v) without red plating or runaway. Can't speak to longevity under these conditions as none of my tubes had more 100 hours on them before I went to larger triodes.

For that incarnation I was using Tomchr's raw supply board with the recommended ClassicTone PT, maida regulator, and filament supplies patched in to a TSE board.

Hmmm... that unit is good for 500mA... but does not have a 5v tap. But since you have Tom's power and Maida board, it's not an issue.

I have George's TSE board and some parts already; for power unit I was planning to get:

http://www.classictone.net/40-18096.pdf

With 180mA rating, I should be able to bias each 300B around 80mA?

Also any suggestions on how to drop the 6.3V to 5V in a reliable way?

Last edited:
Hmmm... that unit is good for 500mA... but does not have a 5v tap. But since you have Tom's power and Maida board, it's not an issue.

I have George's TSE board and some parts already; for power unit I was planning to get:

http://www.classictone.net/40-18096.pdf

With 180mA rating, I should be able to bias each 300B around 80mA?

Also any suggestions on how to drop the 6.3V to 5V in a reliable way?

Why do you want to do that?

300B tubes do, but the TSE does not - it uses a regulator to deliver 5VDC to the 300B, and DC rectification and a series dropping resistor to deliver 6.3VDC to the 5842 tubes.

You need a dedicated 5V winding for the rectifier tube heater, and a 6.3V winding for the rest. I believe the 6.3V winding needs a CT if you want to run 2.5V for 45/2A3 - you should verify that - it's been awhile.

In search of the ideal power transformer

Gentlemen,

Greetings for the New Year! :)

I have been looking up power transformers with higher power ratings. The ¨plug and play" options look like the Hammond 373FX and 373EX; but, prices are high, and ratings are 460mA and 345mA respectively - bit of an overkill and what my limited understanding is, because of higher current rating, these will run the circuit at voltage levels a bit higher than designed. Please correct me if I am wrong.

The other suitable choice I found (albeit at much lower price) tops out at 200 mA.

https://taweber.powweb.com/store/022798intsch.jpg

With a 200mA PT, what is the stable bias I can expect with a 300B?

Edit: There is the PT mod option referfed to by Evenharmonics, but would like to try with off the shelf solutions first.

Last edited:
Hi zman 01,

Happy new year!

I see in the picture you posted that this transformer is 720v center tapped @ 200mA.

My hammond 376x is 660v center tapped @ 173mA. My B+ is 320v.

I'm guessing that you would have no problem maintaining a near 400v loaded B+ with this unit which is ideal for the tubelab SE.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.