• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube Operational Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Do anybody experimented or work around Operational Amplifiers made only with vacuum tubes/valves (No ss at all)?

I have some ideas, but mu brain is open to newer/different ones. What I need is a differential triode/pentode pair wit inverting and noninverting inputs, one or two inverted outputs.

Any suggestion or example is welcomed.

The op-amp was developed and sold in 1952 by George Philbrick. It was tube based. Used for a number of years, mainly in analog computers.

paul

Attachments

• Philbrick sch.jpg
    Philbrick sch.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 702
  • Philbrick picture.jpg
    Philbrick picture.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 649
Thanks, Paul. I read something about it, but my doubt are the neon lamps in the signal path. Aren't they noisier?

I want to make 3 units to extrapolate an invention of a guy I know into the tube technology, he did it using SS and works pretty fine. By the moment, I reserve the basic idea of the thing.

My current idea is as follows: a (not exactly) differential pair made with a triode and a pentode inside the 8BU11 compactron tube. The last triode as a follower for the output. This tube with filaments grounded at 0VDC. A 6U8 tube, with the pentode as CCS for the pair, an the triode as CCS for the output triode. A neon lamp to give biasing for both CCS, with heaters near the negative rail (I called it Ekk).

Last edited:
The project resembles this, but it is not equal to the showed below. It uses different array of passive elements. Nor it is of the Bubba topology.

Sorry, I still have no permission to give more details, because it is under development and perhaps it will be patented. It has been designed in the Campus of an University in Argentina and I am not the creator. Only a second test of the principle.

Code:
my doubt are the neon lamps in the signal path. Aren't they noisier?
Operational amplifiers was invented for and used to to perform matematical operations like integration or derivation in analog computers, in those applications noise was an issue but not as important as in low level audio amplifiers.

I think there is one on Nelson Pass "passdiy" site. Go to "projects" and hit "amplifiers" then on the Project categories list on the left hand side a number of articles will emerge. About a third of the way down. It is called "DIY op amps"
It is a 2 tube simple opamp. 12 AX7 I think.
Cheers
Jonathan

Attachments

• DC_Amp.jpg
    DC_Amp.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 142
  • Analogon.jpg
    Analogon.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 143
  • High_Quality.jpg
    High_Quality.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 217
  • AnotherVersion.jpg
    AnotherVersion.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 234
  • MEDA.jpg
    MEDA.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 278
  • EC-1_circuit.jpg
    EC-1_circuit.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 291
  • Heathkit_Analog_Computer_EC-1.jpg
    Heathkit_Analog_Computer_EC-1.jpg
    402.7 KB · Views: 302
  • Simple_OP_Amp.jpg
    Simple_OP_Amp.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 204
  • Heath-H1-front.jpg
    Heath-H1-front.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.