• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube Noob with a few questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, so I got the amplifier, opened it up, and began writing down the capacitor values. Problem is, I can't seem to find the exact matches for the capacitors. Do they have to be exact, or just close? Also, inside the amp are a bunch of small circular ones that I believe are capacitors, like little discs with two leads coming off them. But the numbers look different. Numbers like 5000 10%, CD .01, SK .01 30%, RMC JL 3000 10%, RMC JL 1000 10%, RMC JL 1500 10%, RMC JL 470 10%, and the really weird one: 100 Ohm 5% 5DIN. What on earth are these numbers?

Big numbers in small capacitors are picoFarads (^-12). Numbers smaller than 1 means microFarads (^-6). 10% tolerance isn't a biggie nowadays. Voltage ratings of at least 400 volts should be enough for this old guy.

The 100 Ohm is a brick resistor (5 watt)? It's probably OK to just check it. Probably true for most of the caps too, but yer on a roll.

All good fortune,
Chris

Post a couple of clear close-ups, that will help a lot. If you are using windows, snap pics, right click on them and open them with paint, re-size them to less than 200K file size and use the "manage attachments" button when you post to attach them.

For the most part, cap values need to be close, and the voltage rating needs to be at least as high as the one you are replacing. Higher voltage rated caps are no problem as long as they fit (they are physically larger and more $$).

Most modern electrolytic caps are smaller than the mid 20th century versions.......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.