• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube manufacturer Trivia Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is that 'flying saucer' the giveaway of its origin?

Attachments

• phoneykt66getter.jpg
    phoneykt66getter.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 94
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

The nice soul who gave these to me said these are rebranded Russky 6L6’s.

That nice person was correct....
They are the same 6L6Gs as put on the market by Sovtek and other dealers buying in from the Russian governmental agency Electronorintorg.

The manufacturer is Reflector, Saratov from the former USSR, the innocent valve quite likely never even came close to Germany but putting made in Germany on anything often helps sales...:smash:

Haltron went out of business before these valves actually hit the market so I think someone else is abusing their logo. (I think I know who...)
Haltron was situated in the London area and active untill the late Sixties, early Seventies.

Some of their boxes can be seen here:

HALTRON

Those 6L6Gs were mainly used in guitar amps, they weren't the greatest replacement back then, the current production Svetlanas are much better suited.
Selling them as KT66s is just plain cheating....They won't last long that way either.

I bet that if you put them in a circuit other then the Quad II that you won't see the blue glow either.

Cheers, ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.